What the HECK was that!??! Pellet gun shooting?

WooingWyandotte

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Arkansas
Last night in the middle of the night, DM and DF woke up to my OEGB hen sqwuaking her butt off (her and her chick were in their pen) so they hurried out of bed while I was sleeping like a log in my own comfy bed, if it wasn't for them we would have had two less chickens than we do now.
Anyways, they tramped out there with a flashlight and DF saw a long tan animal shoot away. He thought it was a bobcat, there has been one lurking around lately but if it was long I kinda doubt it.
3:00 am they hear sqwauking again, bless their hearts they run out there again and DF shined the flashlight at the pen they were in, a head shot up and he saw two gleaming eyes, the head went down, then up looking at him again, and it turned then shot back into the brush.
When I went out to do chores this morning I looked around for any signs about what animal had been there and found a paw print right by her pen. It was deep in the dirt, indicating the thing was heavyish. I'm inclined to think it was a possum. The paw print was had a slender pad and toes with claws. The whole things was about 2" long.
We live on the west side of the Mississippi and deep in the forest. There are a lot of creeks nearby. The wilderness is filled with poison oak, brush, sticks, close trees...it's also VERY hilly. Few places on our property are flat.

Help!

WW

UPDATE!

Dad wants to shoot it with a pellet gun....help.
Will it not come back if he does? I doubt it. But I guess if he wants to take a shot at it he can, I'm concerned if he
wounds it fatally and it runs off and dies slowly...I would feel terrible.

Last edited:
You should set a live trap and see what you get! Also make sure your coop/pen is very secure just in case no one wakes up next time it comes, it will no doubt be back since it knows that there are chickens around. Good luck!

Yeah, we spent all today securing my chicken pens. I have a feeling it will keep coming back till the supply is depleted.
hmm.png
And what type of live traps are good to get?

can you post a pic of the foot print? We may be able to ID with a pic...I do not know of any opossums that can leave a two inch footprint...

Last edited:
The skunk track looked like the culprit...but skunks aren't tan, are they?
tongue.png
Of course not, so what could it be!? I've been racking my brain. We have some weird wildlife out here...could've been anything.

Back
Top Bottom