what the temp. of a black swan?

I have 6 of them and find them to be very curious and friendly for the most part. They don't like to be held and cuddled...... but I can pick them up and pet them with out them being stressed, they do follow me around and talk to me, and talk and talk...... LOL If they see me in the house they talk to me, if I'm outside they come to see what I am doing, some will lay down near me while I work, some just like to follow me around. The biggest male is a little standoffish, but he gets curious and watches what I'm up too. Some get too friendly, like one female who follows me around and every time I stop she starts nest building behind me.....
tongue.png

Hey chickenzoo i know you free range yours but how big of a pen would a pr or 2 hens need and how where they to raise as cygnets because im interested in a few and could they be housed with ducks SORRY OFF TOPIC!!!!!

Thanks chicken zoo! How much could i find a pair for cheap(ya right) and where can i find them?

BTW: is it mute swans that are agressive?

I have a pair of black swans and they have 2 babies (1 month old last Sunday). When I walk toward the pond, he is up at the fence hissing and hitting the fence, putting fed in the pen is a job, trying not to get swan whopped. I let him out this past week, and he almost killed everything on the pond and my cat also.
my mute swans were the same way when it was mating season and after the babies were born.
right now my mute swans will eat out of your hand.
so, it depends on what time of the year it is and if there are eggs or babies around to how nice they are
or at least that is the way mine are

Quote:
You would need a good sized pen if you want to keep them with ducks etc.... as the closer they are together the bossier they will get with the other birds. You would want a pond at least 8X8, then add at least 8 foot around the sides as a minimum just for them I would fiquire... but if pinioned they don't go anywhere if your property is fenced. The more space the better

Cost, on average that I see, for a cygnet is about $150 - $250 for the Blacks

They are pretty easy to care for....... you can buy Swan food or have it ordered at the feed store. Some people use chicken layer...... Do what the breeder instructs for their birds. They can cost a small fortune in Romane and other green veggies......
tongue.png
I could probably better tell you who NOT to buy from ..... hehe.
hmm.png

One nice thing about them is they can breed and nest practically any time of the year, especially if you're in a warmer climate... They're smaller in size than Mutes which can be an advantage for some.

Back
Top Bottom