What three would you choose?

samgregory

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Hi I am thinking of getting a small flock of three hens,
I keep changing my mind as to which three breeds to get, at the moment I am thinking about two different types of hybrid chicken or three different coloured Orpingtons. Please could you leave comments as to which three chickens you would get if you were just starting out ?

welcome-byc.gif
the three that have fertilized eggs, and an incubator. lol

I would buy one Easter Egger hen, one Sex-link hen and one barred rock. They're the best breeds I've experienced.

I've always had good luck with Dominiques, and Australorps. Plus old fashioned mixes always do well it seems

One Welsummer ; One Ameraucana ( blue egg heritage) ; and one barred Rock "~~light to medium brown with a touch of pink eggs". The Welsummer for dark brown eggs. The Ameraucana cock to mate to the Welsummer to create chicks which will lay green eggs. The Barred Rock for light eggs and to mate with the Ameraucana to create chicks which will lay light blue eggs. Use a Golden Duckwing Ameraucana boy and you will get all kinds of neat colors in the chicks. If your neighbors don't like roosters, get rid of him after mating him to the two girls. When the chicks grow up they and the older hens will give you green, light bluish/green, and dark brown, and "light to medium brown with a touch of pink" eggs in your basket. The darker blue the egg heritage the Ameraucana comes from, the darker green will be the eggs his daughters lay.
Best,
Karen in western PA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom