What time are yours laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Swampwood, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Our first layer "Red"(rsl) is laying like clockwork from 8-8:30am(med dark brown)
    Our second layer(Dont know who..lol) is around 5pm(xsm tan)

Now we start the monitoring to find the culprits [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We have 20 so we gotta hurry before the egg gates open up..lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. We have 7 layers right now. 4 of them lay before 8:00 am. And the other 2 lay around 11:00. One hen is on strike from laying right now. She is holding out for more meal worms I think. Ha ha. I think they are afraid their afternoon nap may be interrupted. That is why they don't lay after 12. Ha Ha!

3. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    We have 1 layer so far... She laid at 3:30 PM, two days ago and this morning we got her second egg right after dawn.

4. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Mostly between 10 and 11am.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It takes about 26 hours to "build" an egg. For daily layers, that means they'll lay their next egg about 2 hours later than the day before, and this cycle goes until it's too late to lay. They'll lay that egg the next morning, and the cycle begins anew.

The majority of eggs are laid between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. I love looking for eggs on my days off, as I can find new ones every few hours. Weekdays, when I work, I "only" get to gather eggs once, in the evening.

6. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    Ours lay anywhere from 8am for our first one to about 3pm for our last one. We have 10 hens and 7 are laying!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ditto here. They will usually start at about 7:30 or 8 with the Araucanas and Brahmas, then just before 3 the day finishes up with the Ameraucanas, Marans, and a few Wyandottes.

8. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    only found one egg before noon so far - the rest have all popped up (or is it out?) well after noon but before 6p.m. My hens are like me I guess - slow in the morning and best after lunch [​IMG]

9. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

mine lay between 6am to 9.30am one of them will lay around 1 or 2 in the afternoon

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Mine lay between 6am & 5pm!! I have 42 that are laying age!

Missi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by