WHAT TIME does your chickens lay their egg?

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
hello,
so i have been wondering about this for a few weeks, as my girls are starting to lay their eggs, its seems all different times, in the am or after 12noon mostly but not consistant, so i want to let them out to free range out of their run, but i want them to lay their eggs too? so i end up letting them outside for a few hours then put them back in their run, soon after about an hour or so, ill go and check on them and find an egg. so my question is, do chickens all lay around the same time? or can i expect different times all the time. thanks in advance!
cool.png

Last edited:
My Red Sex Link lays around 8:00 am. Then three of the for BR's around 10:30 am. Then 2 of the 6 RIR's around 2:00 and and one more RIR lays around 4:30 pm. Hope this helps. And to think I've got about 20 more to go!!

I think that i have read that it takes about 26 hours to make an egg.... so they keep laying later and later, they don't lay at the same time each day. But mine will go back to the house and their nest if outside free range to lay their egg. I only found one egg out in the pasture. So unless they can't get back into the house, I would give it a try, and not worry about it. Mrs.K

Various times each day. Our flocks "free range" on 8 acres and go back to the nest boxes to lay when they "feel the need".

Quote:
Same here. I already posted tonight that most of my girls waited till it was time to go to roost (5:30ish) to decide to visit the nestboxes today. They wanted to squeeze every last second out of their day outside.
I've seen them running from across the meadow to make it back to the nestboxes in time. If chickens could cross their legs and run at the same time, these girls would be doing it.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine too. They free range and come back to lay.

Ditto. I do find an occasional "barn egg" when the weather is really filthy though. They hang out in the barn and lean-to areas when it's raining really hard and will lay in the dog crate that I store in there when they don't want to make the puddle run back to the coop.

I have a mixed flock, and they lay at all hours of the day, somornings I find 4-11 eggs @ 7 am, others I find nothing! my normal seems to be 6-10 in the morning and then I check every 1-2 hours during the day (alaskan monitoring heat as well).

usually around noon-2pm. they are late sleepers these days and have to sit in the sun on the woodpile before they decide they have an actual job to do!!

Back
Top Bottom