What time of day do your hens lay their eggs?

SueMuffin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 30, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I am new to chickens, but I thought hens laid eggs in the very early morning. I have 1 out of my 6 that just started laying eggs, the first day it was about 10:30am, the second day it was about 11am and today it was after 2pm. Is this normal for beginner hens?? and will it be in the morning after they are laying for a while? Thanks

Mine lay between early morning to last in the afternoon!! There are definetly not consistent!!
smile.png

Missi

Quote:
Chickens are said to lay one egg every 25 hours (or so, depending on the breed and individual hen), so it would stand to reason that they would lay later and later in the day until they decide they need a rest. My hens tend not to lay eggs before 9am (very civilized, if you ask me!) and are ordinarily done by 3pm. I've had a rare late deposit (5:30ish), but tht is the exception, not the rule.

The more I go out to collect eggs the earlier they lay. I start going out about 9AM and every 1/2 hour or so. Most are done then by 1PM. I quess they like their eggs collected and heaven forbid someone else sits on their egg. Spoiled brats.

Except the Barred Rock, she likes to sit for a few hours and hide from the Rooster, anyone needing a break from him hides out in the nest boxes in the afternoon. I even get an egg or two then, sometimes.

Mine lay all day long. From very early to very late. Some even lay in the heat of the day. I check the boxes 3-5 times a day and find someone in there every time. I had a new layer today leave me a very tiny fragile egg at 7 this evening. It would be nice if they would all get together on this but no such luck for me.

Hello We are also newbies and got our first egg yesterday and our second egg today.We have 5 hens and only one is laying.
yesterday she laid around 12 and today it was close to 1pm.
Sure will be glad when the others start.
JIM&LINDY

They all lay at different times.Sometimes I let my Big layer's out at 8:30 am they are just starting to lay and I usualy have one egg when I go up.I went back an hour later to take up some fresh water and 2 other's had done went back to leave my other 2 egg's.Only 3 out of 15 of those are laying so far.My bantam's lay at different time's too.These are new layer's too.Some morning some mid day and some evening.I go out several time's a day since I don't have my bantam's in breeding pen's yet to see who is laying the "mystery" egg".My Giant frizzle is laying WEEEEEEE.I had put a few egg's in bator from that box so
fl.gif
.None of the other peanut boys in that coop could have gotten her to the ground for mating so...I love going to get the egg's though.You basicly will learn after a while when to expect egg's from a certain hen.I can be an all day adventure.

well thanks for all the input, I guess I will just keep checking every couple hours till they all are in a routine of some sort!! I thought my hens were just a little "special" but I guess not!!! LOL:lol:

Ours lay mid morning to early afternoon.
We are new to the chicken stuff too...and thought they would all lay early in morning.
Guess we watch to much tv...giggles

When I let my 12 girls out of their coop in the morning (from 8:30-9:30) there's usually 8 eggs already in the nestboxes. They gobble feed and get their drinks and the ones who haven't already laid head back into the coop. Most of them are done by noon, though I've heard the "I've just laid a WONDERFUL egg, come look!!" song as late as 4pm.

Back
Top Bottom