What time of the day do your hens generally lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DENALI, Mar 24, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    These RIR's i brought home seem to lay between 11am and 4pm in the afternoon. Being a newbie i would have thought first thing in the morning![​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine are now done laying ususally before 9 a.m. but, last summer it was about the same as you are seeing. They may stay there and they may change.

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I have Leghorns and they lay about 10AM and if we are lucky, some of them lay again in the afternoon about 4PM. But its good to check a few times a day for eggs, especially in the heat or cold. [​IMG]

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been geting about 16-18 eggs a day since the girls began laying well again. I go out about 7am, there's 4 or 5, then about 2pm, there;s 5 or 6, then when I put them up for the night, around 7pm, there's 4 or 5 again.

My girls have never laid just in the morning. I wish they would!!

Em

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Mine lay when ever they want to, we MIGHT get some in the morning but usually it's early afternoon. When I get off work at 11 PM I go and lock the girls up and there are usually eggs waiting for me, so there is no time table.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I only have 2 adult hens right now and one lays by noon and the other lays around 4pm. The kids love running down several times a day to check for those 2 pitiful eggs![​IMG]

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have one Buff Orp that lays by 9 am every morning. I have another that lays by 1 pm every afternoon and I have two polish that lay whenever and where ever they want. No rhyme or reason to those two.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They lay on a 25 hour cycle, so if a hen lays at 9 a.m. today, she'll lay at about 10 a.m. tomorrow, etc... up until dusk then they start over.

9. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    mine lay around 9am to as late as 5pm.

10. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    hens lay in the morning or evening.an their laying times can an do vary.it takes a hen 18 to 24hrs to make an egg an lay it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by