What time of the day do your hens generally lay?

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
These RIR's i brought home seem to lay between 11am and 4pm in the afternoon. Being a newbie i would have thought first thing in the morning!
cool.png

Mine are now done laying ususally before 9 a.m. but, last summer it was about the same as you are seeing. They may stay there and they may change.

I have Leghorns and they lay about 10AM and if we are lucky, some of them lay again in the afternoon about 4PM. But its good to check a few times a day for eggs, especially in the heat or cold.
smile.png

I've been geting about 16-18 eggs a day since the girls began laying well again. I go out about 7am, there's 4 or 5, then about 2pm, there;s 5 or 6, then when I put them up for the night, around 7pm, there's 4 or 5 again.

My girls have never laid just in the morning. I wish they would!!

Em

Mine lay when ever they want to, we MIGHT get some in the morning but usually it's early afternoon. When I get off work at 11 PM I go and lock the girls up and there are usually eggs waiting for me, so there is no time table.

I only have 2 adult hens right now and one lays by noon and the other lays around 4pm. The kids love running down several times a day to check for those 2 pitiful eggs!
smile.png

I have one Buff Orp that lays by 9 am every morning. I have another that lays by 1 pm every afternoon and I have two polish that lay whenever and where ever they want. No rhyme or reason to those two.

They lay on a 25 hour cycle, so if a hen lays at 9 a.m. today, she'll lay at about 10 a.m. tomorrow, etc... up until dusk then they start over.

hens lay in the morning or evening.an their laying times can an do vary.it takes a hen 18 to 24hrs to make an egg an lay it.

Back
Top Bottom