What to attach fencing with (lots of it)

Quote:
I go down the line and hang them on the right spots, and my father in law came behind me with the pliars to pull them on right. Worked great for us and I think he's better with the pliars than I am. Practice I guess.

I found it easier to use a medium sized pair of channel lock pliars on the ties. After 4 or 5 you'll get the hang of it and by the time you're done you'll wish the rest of it would have been as easy as those ties.

I don't know if money is an issue with your wooden 4 x 4 post BUT you might want to take a look at landscaping timbers. Right now Home Depot has them on sale (at least in WV) for $1.99 ea. I bet that is one third the price of the 4 x 4'x 8'. They are also treated and make good post. Only issue I have seen at all has bee a little bow in some of them which hasn't been an problem for my fence. However I have only had these in the ground for 4 months.
33744_dsc04347.jpg

I agree with the one's that mentioned the T post clips. They are a pain to get on but once you do that fence is not going anywhere. My mother-in-law and father-in-law raise cattle and they never use the metel ties that come with them. Actually they never even bring the ties home. The clips I believe come in Yellow and black around here. I also use them when I run electric fence around my yard. I think you will be well satisfied with the clips. They last forever.......Goodluck!!

PT 4x4's will nave to be replaced periodically. If you can get them, salvaged power poles are better by far. Ditto RR ties. Use 6' tall 2x4 galv wire. Then put 24" tall chicken wire inside so birds cannot poke their heads thru and so coons cannot grab them and pull them thru a piece at a time. (That can happen and it is really grisly) After you set all poles, dig a 4x4 trench and then stretch the fence and just fasten it enough to hold it up with the bottom just below the line of the trench. Then pour the trench with cement and smooth it. Then finish fastening the fence to the posts. Then install 4 courses of hotwire and a fence charger. You are then safe for all but aerial predators as long as power is on. Do not make it out of chicken wire only as coons will tear it apart. You can buy orange poly-twine at co-op, etc and string it overhead every which way to discourage hawks. Chicks should only be in area that has chicken wire overhead.

Actually I was thinking about using the landscape timbers instead of 4 x 4's. Id go buy them now, but it will probably be at least a couple months before the 'plan' is finalized, so I don't want to lock myself into something just yet. But, I do like the idea, and I don't think that a little bow in it is gonna matter. Its just a chicken fence, and the chickens don't care if its bowed.

I would like to put some overhead netting, but being that I'm fencing in about an acre, it just would'nt be feasible do do that. Plus we don't have a major problem with hawks and other arial predators. At least we haven't yet. And I do plan on running at least 3 hot wires, about 6 and 12 inches, and one near the top.

Just to be clear is everyone talking about these clips...

40533_wrapping-t-post-clip-with-fence-pro-tool.gif

Thanks again everybody for your help!

MusicMan

Last edited:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?mpe_id=12075&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-Cross+Sell+Up+Sell-_-ProductDetail_Espot1-_-Standard+Snug+Fitting+T-Post+Insulator%2C+Pack+of+25&catalogId=10001&productId=36136&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=15001&langId=-1&storeId=10551&ddkey=http:CatalogSearchResultView

Here
is a link to the ones I am talking about. Like I posted earlier, they are a little hard to put on, but once you get them on they are there to stay. These are for T post.

ETA: We use these for electic fence.....so depending on what type of fencing you are using these may still work for you.

Last edited:
Those are cool, Ive never seen those before. Yes, I would be putting an electric fence on, and was wondering what kind of clips to use for that, so it will be insulated. I guess I just found them. They don't give those out with the t posts here, they give out the ones in the picture I posted. Thanks for the link.

MusicMan

Back
Top Bottom