What to choose Red Star or black with Questions

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Hello any have a suggestion Red Stars or Black Stars are there eggs the same Egg color/ less issues like egg bound / and why are some red and some black? I'm putting in my order and can't make up my mind which color.
Thanks
Jody MA

Last edited:
I have one black star in with 4 black austalorps and she is my favorite. Indeed a beautiful chicken and a good egg layer.

I have 3 blackstars and really love them. They're beautiful hens and lay pretty brown (sometimes speckled or almost pink) large to jumbo eggs. They started laying early last fall and were producing 3 eggs a day (one each) almost every day. They've hardly slowed down at all this winter with no light in the coop but did cut down to 1 or 2 a day when the temps got really cold. Now they're back up to full production most days. Good personalities and very quiet for chickens -- they usually don't even do the "egg song."

Red Stars and Black Stars are produced by cross breeding two purebreed chickens breeds and are know for great egg production. Look up sex link chickens for more details. Both produce brown eggs. My opinion is that the Black Stars are slighlty better disposition. Get a few of both and have a coloful flock. It is OK to mix them as they will get along fine.

well, you've already made up your mind, but i just wanted to add that we have 4 Red Stars and they are great!!!!
love.gif
bow.gif
celebrate.gif
droolin.gif
LOL such wonderful friends and they are great egg layers!
thumbsup.gif

Just wanted to add that! oh and why don't you get some of BOTH?! LOL
celebrate.gif
That way your can see which you like best(although you would probably like them all!)
droolin.gif

Good luck and enjoy your chickens!
pop.gif

I missed this and did a search about sexlink and wanted to add this- A friend of mine had red stars last year-where I got mine- They lay great. I hatched offspring from a SLW roo(last year) some were white and some were speckled with the SLW black. You could not tell the hens from the roos. I kept 2 white hens and 1 speckled hen both laygreat. She got the black stars this year so she could tell the younger ones from the older ones when she was ready to cull them.
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom