What to cover my run with that will hold up to snow?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Noymira, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I've built a run that is 12' x 19' with 6' tall walls. There is 2"x4" welded wire covering the walls of the run, with 1" hex net along the bottom 24" ans as a skirt. I was going to get deer netting and just drape & it over the top (I set a support across halfway across the short side), but this would require taking it down in the winter. I would really like something a bit stronger that has openings big enough to not get torn down by snow if possible. We get snow from Nov. thru Mar. and can get 2-3' at a time in a good storm. I really can't afford a permanent roof, and that would block light to all the new windows I cut into the coop wall.

What have you used that offered a bit more protection than deer netting and could stay up all winter? Where did you buy it and what size rolls?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    i'd make a frame and then cover it- a peak will make the snow slide off- so you could get away with a tarp etc dependng on your snow fall

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Bring a" peak" out frrom the coop to the fence at a convenient height and run more welded wire from side to side just an idea snow should pass through and not build up on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by