What to do about Hunting dogs killing my chickens

I get hounds periodically. Some treeing coons at night, some lost strays, some on the hunt during the day. The large hounds have always been well behaved; never bothered the chickens. Once a beagle type dog was chasing one of my hens, snapping within inches of her tail. I could have killed it, but decided to give it a chance because I know it's a neighbor's and fired a warning shot. Fortunately, it hasn't been back.

I would like to apologize to the original poster for getting off track. I still stand by my opinion. If he is attacking then shoot first ask questions later. If he is just passing through give a warning shot and follow him to his owner (if the dog is trained). Then tell the owners of that dog next time he wont be "running" back to you. And then carry on. God bless. And good luck.

I was feeding my chickens this morning and just thought I'd share this. Here in VA these are necessary. Must be posted around property. You can buy them buy the roll fairly cheap at tractor supply.

Attachments

• 20181125_144054.jpg
    20181125_144054.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 7
I’m sorry you got the wrong impression off of my posts. I really don’t want for anybody to get harmed. But if there is a known problem of certain dogs coming onto your property I wish there was something people could do before something bad happens. Instead of waiting for something bad to happen. But more of a solution that is illegal and doesn’t get dogs chickens or people harmed. I would never hurt a dog just for simply coming on to my property. If that were the case I would’ve hurt many many of dogs but I don’t see a need for that for just passing through

I never intended to give you or anyone else that impression. I am only pointing out what to expect.

The truth is that most hounds are by & large uninterested in chasing chickens. Hounds are scent hunters and your chickens face a much greater threat from dogs who chase everything that runs from them, ie. sight hunters.

This includes all of the ankle biters and fuzzy FU-FU pups. The greatest danger dogs represent is the bored dog or dogs who suddenly realize that chasing hens is good fun, great exercise, and an excellent boredom breaker.

My Sheba Inu would escape from time to time and I learned to drive around the neighborhood and look for cats in trees. A cat perched in a tree in a fence row inevitable had my dog underneath it looking up at the kitty. If you think that this dog was in any way a danger to fee-lions, my Sheba and house cat would play you kill me and I'll kill you for hours at a time and then both would nap on the sofa, the cat always sleeping on top of the Sheba.

What to expect? All I expect is a law or ordinance or at least something to go to for a constant repeated problem so things can get solved over animals or humans getting injured or hurt. A lot of times when an owner runs into a fine or even a threat of one can solve the problem. I think OP wants to solve the problem with no one hurt and legally

Think that through and you might have your answer. OP wasn't dealing with a single hunting dog but pack of them, and roaming hounds is a recurring theme.

I don't know about in their neighborhood, but where I came from, the last guys in the world you would want mad at you would be the same guys who would turn a pack of hounds loose. Shoot said hounds and that could become your worst nightmare.......even if you were within your rights to do so. That type of feud holds the potential to spin out of control. Something you really don't want to get involved in.

Far better to let the fence deal with it. No muss, no fuss and more important your
I was feeding my chickens this morning and just thought I'd share this. Here in VA these are necessary. Must be posted around property. You can buy them buy the roll fairly cheap at tractor supply.
I have a sign that reads "No trespassing! This includes deer! This pile of corn is chicken feed! Any deer caught stealing from my chickens will be shot on sight. Consider yourself warned. "

Back
Top Bottom