What to do about Hunting dogs killing my chickens

Every cellphone has a camera nowadays. ;) got my proof. Cell is always handy in my pocket. And I am a hunter too. But I've never needed dogs to do my hunting for me. ;) call me old school but if you need dogs help, your not really hunting. No different than spotlighting in my opinion. Using dogs to hunt should be illegal. If your not good enough or patient enough to hunt without forcing them out to you with your hounds then you have no business claiming your a real "Hunter"
I just read this. Being of caveman stock, my people have been using dogs / wolves for thoudands of years to either locate and / or bay quarry. Had to feed a village or a family, not just impress others.

Are we still feeding villagers? And I feed my family just fine with one deer and no dogs needed... I havent had any issues locating using knowledge of tracks/tree markings/ and deer beds. My nose may not smell like a dogs but what I see with my eyes (not my dogs) tells me exactly where the deer have been and are going....I was raised with the knowledge that a hunter goes in the woods and hunts. Doesnt sit back and wait for his dogs to round them up for him. Oh and I bow hunt not black powder. The weapons are strictly protection for my family for the black bears and coyotes

Are we still feeding villagers? And I feed my family just fine with one deer and no dogs needed... I havent had any issues locating using knowledge of tracks/tree markings/ and deer beds. My nose may not smell like a dogs but what I see with my eyes (not my dogs) tells me exactly where the deer have been and are going....I was raised with the knowledge that a hunter goes in the woods and hunts. Doesnt sit back and wait for his dogs to round them up for him. Oh and I bow hunt not black powder. The weapons are strictly protection for my family for the black bears and coyotes
You are lost.

I have no problem with using properly trained dogs in a legal manner; it's the yahoos who don't care who are a problem!
If one of my animals gets out and causes harm, (which hasn't happened, fortunately!) I'd be on it immediately, and if one of my dogs was shot while being in the wrong place at the wrong, time, I'd be very sad, and blame MYSELF!
Mary

Hi,
Everyone,

We had a very sad event this morning. Hunting with dogs is extremely popular in our County in Virginia. It is very common to have large packs of hunting dogs roaming through our property during hunting season. And equally common to find packs of abandoned hunting dogs freezing and starving to death on the property at the close of hunting season. This morning, I heard a pack of hunting dogs making a lot of commotion near our chicken runs. I went outside to see what was going on, and saw the dogs running away from the run and found one of our roosters dead inside. We raised him from a chick and we are very sad about his untimely death. I am guessing, he had a heart attack while being tormented by the dogs. I called local animal control and they were very unsympathetic and sounded very supportive of hunting with dogs. They said that it is legal here for the dogs to hunt on our property, and that because the dogs did not actually bite our rooster, that killing our rooster also was not illegal. I am not sure that this is in accordance with our state laws, but this seems to be how things happen around here. She seemed to indicate that even if the dogs killed our chickens by biting them, I would only have legal recourse if they did it three times. Our chickens are already contained within their run 24/7, but the property is very large (14 acres) so erecting a fence around the whole property would not be an option, and fences are very expensive. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about anything cheap I might be able to legally do to protect my chickens, despite the local laws which seem to favor hunting at the expense of livestock.
thanks,
SSS

Howitzers are pretty cool. But the gun restrictions suck!
Every one should be required to undergo firearms training by age 13 to gain respect and understanding of weapons. And every single person should be allowed to carry if they choose to.

An armed society is a polite society.
:thumbsup
You might want to exchange "every single person" for something along the lines of "any responsible adult trained in the use of handguns that does not have any felony convictions".

Last edited:
We have a double standard at work here. Dogs are not allowed off of their chain but many of us have our chickens running all over Hades and the better half of California and think that (pick one) this is cute, the right thing to do, what is best for your chickens, or finally, this is how the Deity Gaia crafted the chicken on the top of Mount Olympus.

Back
Top Bottom