what to do about the gaps in corrugated roofing?

Quote:
Huh, you reeeeeeeaaaaallly don't want to go there with this crew
wink.png

Pat

Hey, Hopeful Peacock and NoraWI!!!! In the above quote you have a first quality example of what kind of zany website you have stumbled into! It's the ONLY place I've ever seen where the moderators and administrators protect us from ourselves. Opinions fly, knives are sharpened, but nobody gets hurt. Gotta love it!
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not shocked the conversation has devolved from the orignal question,
tongue.png
but that's fine. . .

I have previously installed a metal roof on my home and screwed it in with the special screws with the rubber-y washers already on. Over 500 screws in the valleys and not one leak. I'm going with the valleys. But, really, whatever works, works. . .
cool.png

I wanted to leave the gaps in the roofing for ventilation, so I am glad that it sounds as though I can with no big problems.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Er, hey, a) I was making a JOKE (albeit you can see *why* I said that, from how off-track this thread has gotten <g>) and b) there have not been any moderators or administrators ON this thread at all.

Quote:
I'm sorry, what I say is not coming from google, it is coming from experience (as what you say is too, of course). I did actually go rummage around in the folder of permits and receipts and stuff from when we built the big horse shed, but unfortunately we do not seem to have saved the installation sheet that came with the metal roofing and I have no idea who the mfr was. It clearly specified, though, that when you use it for ROOFS you should screw through the RIBS, but through the flats (valleys) when used for siding.

Also, if you drive around Ontario or Western NY state (I don't remember about elsewhere) you will see that the majority of buildings -- including commercial buildings, so I am not talking about little DIY jobbies -- with metal sheet roofing have the roofing screwed through the ribs.

As I have said when this has come up before, perhaps it has to do with regional climates (types/amounts of precipitation, and gauge of roofing typically used, the horse shed is 26 gauge if that matters), I dunno. But this is how it is around here <shrug> and it works FINE.

Pat

Yes Pat, that's how we always installed metal sheets back when I used to do alot of it.

2-1/2" roofing screws through the ridges (or ribs).
1-1/2" screws in the valleys (or flats) if used as siding.

To save money, some customers insisted on 1-1/2" screws (or nails!) through the flats. Bad choice. We would do it, but not guarantee it.
Word of mouth being what it is, customers would complain to other folks about premature roof leakage but of course neglect to mention that THEY INSISTED on an inferior job.
After several episodes like this, the boss refused to accomodate all customers who wanted a "cheap job". A damaged reputation is hard to repair.

spot

Last edited:
Oh! I forgot about the original post...sorry.

I would use strips under panels to block out wind-driven snow if you live in a snowy climate.
Otherwise it seems as though it would be a source of ventilation.

Good luck,
spot

We left the openings un-blocked too, and so far no signs of any rodent intrusion. The only rodents we usually get that far off the ground are squirrels, and they won't fit that size opening. I'm sure we have mice too but I have yet to see any sign that they're getting into the coop. Ventilation isn't an issue since the coop is open on one side, but I left the openings because I'm lazy and cheap.
wink.png
Oh, and I put the screws in in the valleys - I'll find out this winter whether or not I regret that but it was in the manufacturer's instructions.
. . . and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I have a metal roof on my coop. I left the gaps open for ventilation, I never had a condensation problem. I fastened the panels on the flats, I used recycled metal from a barn that was taken down and thats where the old nail holes were. Never had a problem with wind lifting the panels either.

Racuda, that looks exactly like the roofing we used on our house. It is awesome.

Thanks for the welcome! I will leave the gaps open - not much snow at all where I am in TN.

Thanks!!

We used metal roofing on our coop. It wasn't the same as Racuda's, It was regular corrugated style, so larger hills in it.

I did not choose to use the fillers, but instead chose to leave it open for ventilation. I did however fill the space with multi-folded chicken wire in hopes that fewer "critters" could get in. Hardware cloth was too difficult for my hands to work in that small space and attach it to the wood. I used strips of chicken wire folded 4 or 5 times on itself but in a manner so that the holes did not line up on each other, jammed it hard into the space and stapled it to wood any place I could get to. Knock on wood, no problems as of yet with condensation last winter, or with things getting into the coop.

Hope this helps with another idea for that space.

Back
Top Bottom