what to do for a 6 month old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Queen Scoot, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    bantam cochin with a broken leg??
    right now i have her in a cage by herself. she is eating and drinking fine. dont know how she got it broke and no vet that handles chickens near. any suggestions? will this heal ok and she be able to live a normal life???
    TIA

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i would try to "set" it as good as i could,, then splint it with popcicle sticks and tape [​IMG]

3. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    thanks Hippie Jim.....i just dont know how she did it. puzzles me..... how long should i leave the splint on for?

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Thats what Id recommend too. As far as how long to leave it on, 2 or 3 weeks should be fine. But its been a long time since Ive done this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i would leave it on at least a couple weeks,, watch her, and maybe you will be able to tell that its "healed" , meaning she can walk around without alot of pain,, ,, if you know where its broken too,, after 2 weeks take off the splint, and GENTLY,lol,, see if it "moves" there, like its still broke,,,,,, after you think its o.k. ,, i would leave it on another week.
    even if the bones dont " line up" they will still heal together by calcifying ,, and she may have a calcium bump there from now on.

and your welcies [​IMG]
    ive only done this once with a chicken,, but done it to myself a few times [​IMG]

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:why do you think it is broken? ie- can you see & feel the break, or is this a limping/lame/dragging leg chicken?

I am asking as there are lots of reasons for a chicken to limp or drag a leg, beyond being broken. If this is an obvious break, can you post a photo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by