What to do for oncoming flash flooding?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hi guys!

I live in SE Louisiana, and we are about to get hit with a nasty tropical system. Rainfall estimates are anywhere from 8-20+ inches of rain in the next 3 days. I live across from a creek, so flash flooding happens in a heartbeat. I'm mostly worried about my 3 hens. My back yard floods, but not as badly as the front yard. The girls are in an Omlet Eglu with a 13 foot run. I'm worried that the run will flood and the girls won't have access to food/water and will get stranded. There is no way for me to put food/water in the coop. What should I do? Worst comes to worst, I'll make a dash for the coop and put the girls in a dog crate in the laundry room. That is absolutely worst case scenario.

Thoughts?

TIA!

I personally would bring them into the house.
An extra bathroom would be great.
Extra bedroom? Extra bathroom?
We ordered the largest dog crate we could find from Petsmart and are picking it up in the morning. I think we'll stick 'em in our spare bathroom. We're also going to fill the tub in there to refill their water with. I'm concerned about them getting bored/restless; it's supposed to be 3 solid days of rain.

That's the downside of having a small coop where they can't be locked into it, in emergency (I locked mine inside the coop when we had flooding).

Moving them inside is your best bet for sure. Inconvenient but they'll be safe that way. They'll get over being bored.
Better bored than drowning, or floating away.

Back
Top Bottom