What to do for the only baby chick who survived the trip through the mails?

Awww, just read your blog. Little Sunshine appears to be settling in nicely in her new home. So cute with the mirror and stuffed animal!

Yes, she seems fine! I had the stuffed animal and mirror out for a few minutes this morning as I was cleaning the bottom of the box -- she is a prodigious pooper! -- and the box semed quite empty.

Now we have added a small branch for further entertainment.

Zana,

I just finished reading your blog. You're doing great and Sunshine seems to be getting along fine.

One comment, If you are already giving her things other than chick starter to eat (I saw the lettuce, altho she seems to be more interested in sitting on it than eating it) be sure you get a little cup with some chick grit in there for her. Be sure it is grit and NOT oyster shells as she is too young to have any added calcium.

Good luck with her and the others you will be getting. And be sure to hop on over to the Colorado thread. You don't list where in CO you are, but 4 HOURS to an interstate, oh my, I'm so envious.

One comment, If you are already giving her things other than chick starter to eat (I saw the lettuce, altho she seems to be more interested in sitting on it than eating it) be sure you get a little cup with some chick grit in there for her. Be sure it is grit and NOT oyster shells as she is too young to have any added calcium.
... You don't list where in CO you are, but 4 HOURS to an interstate, oh my, I'm so envious.
We are in the San Luis Valley not too far from the Great Sand Dunes, which means that we have more sand than soil in our yard. Local chicken people thought that sand would be fine as a grit for now, so maybe I will put some sand in her box. You are right that the lettuce hasn't been consumed much, though the first time I gave her little bits of it she did peck at it.

Thanks for the Colorado invite. Sunshine has kept me so busy I am behind on lots of things but will check it out eventually.

She is now hopping from one part of the Y-shaped branch to the other with aplomb.

I'm in a similar situation. This little guy was the only one to hatch and the momma hen left the nest when he fell out. So i'm raising it. Anything you've run into other than stuffed animals that would be helpful?

Awww, what a special little girl. :) Keep us posted on how she is doing and lots of picture!
big_smile.png

i saw the pics of sunshine...what a sweet story.....i was also wondering....have you told the post office what happen??...i would tell them what happen to
your chicks, so that if they were handled ruff, maybe someone can give these over paid workers a talking to......and let them know they are dealing with a real life!.
perhaps this could keep this from ever happening again....so glad your chick is doing so well!!!...cant wait to see your new batch of chicks when they join sunshine!!!

i saw the pics of sunshine...what a sweet story.....i was also wondering....have you told the post office what happen??...i would tell them what happen to
your chicks, so that if they were handled ruff, maybe someone can give these over paid workers a talking to......and let them know they are dealing with a real life!.
perhaps this could keep this from ever happening again....so glad your chick is doing so well!!!...cant wait to see your new batch of chicks when they join sunshine!!!
Yes, I told the post office folks here in our small town, and they were very sympathetic. THEY would not have been the ones who did any harm.

I'm in a similar situation. This little guy was the only one to hatch and the momma hen left the nest when he fell out. So i'm raising it. Anything you've run into other than stuffed animals that would be helpful?
I really think the mirror has been even more important than the stuffed animal! See the last picture (near the end of the page anyway) on my blog post and you can see her hanging out by the mirror ON the stuffed animal.

It's at http://simplegreenliving.com/life-with-our-solitary-baby-chicken/

Also, I work at home so I have been able to pick her up and talk with her and play with her. We have music going most of the day that she can hear too.

Back
Top Bottom