What to do when baby chicks are born to nest in the woods, outside the coop?

tmelo

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
I'm a rookie here and would appreciate some experienced feedback.
One of our chickens learned to fly out of the coop and made a nest outside in the woods. The eggs are hatching today, the first baby chick was born this AM and we got a second one on the way. Hopefully 9 total. My partner and I are debating whether we take at least half the chicken away from her and raise them inside, then see what happens to the other half under the mother's care. We live in Hawaii and we have a few potential predators in the property, to name a few, our cat who's a fierce hunter, and mongoose. I think the mother will protect the chicks from the cat, but mongoose can be aggressive and will eat babies. So we thought instead of taking all babies from the mother, leave her with half risking that she may lose some or all, then we'll have at least half that will be sure to thrive. This is my partners idea. I'm having a hard time agreeing with taking the babies from the mother so soon, but I understand his point.
What is best?
If we put her back in the coop after all the chicks are born, the cat won't get in but the mongoose can.
If we bring the babies in, how do we care for them?
What do they eat?
Does it make sense to bring the mother in as well?
Or is the best option to just leave all the babies with the mother and trust mother nature to do what it must?
Mahalo!
Tmelo

Greetings from Kansas, tmelo, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here. I have definite opinions on your situation. If you want all the chicks, take them all away from the mother soon after they hatch. Short of taking the whole batch - (chicks and mom) and putting them in a coop, it's the only way to assure they won't get snatched by a mongoose or something. Chicks have some basic needs. They need heat - like from a heat lamp. This is hung inside a brooder which can be anything - large box, big plastic tote, etc. The temp below the hear lamp at the brooder floorshould be around 95 degrees at first, decreasing 5 degrees per week til no longer needed (probably just 2 or 3 weeks in HI). Make sure the brooder is large enough so the chicks can move into and out of the warm and cool areas. They need food - commonly known as chick starter - available at farm and ranch stores here on the mainland....not sure if you have those there. And they need water - put in something that isn't deep enough for them to drown in should they fall in. In the brooder you should put down pine shaving (not cedar - poisonous to chickens). These probably from a pet or bird store.
After the initial set up there really isn't much to taking care of them - feed, water, change out their litter once in awhile. I urge you to take them in for another reason - they will be wild unless you visit them a few times a day and handle them. Do some reading in the Learning Center link below - tons of great information from chicks to adults birds, nutrition, coops, predators, etc. All the best!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Thank you so much RedSoxs! That's pretty big help. I appreciate it. We will take the babies away after the first day or so. We are headed down to the farm supply store to get chick starter and hopefully they'll also have pine shaving. I'll def check out the Learning Center. Two more question:

1) If we raise the chicks inside, when do you suggest they could be transitioned the coop (again keeping in mind the mongoose)
2) Will there be an issue introducing them to the flock? Will our 9-month old flock welcome the younglings?

I will check the Learning Center next as these questions are probably answered there.

Thank you! And thank you liz9910, I'm excited to be part of this forum.

Tmelo

Howdy from Texas and Welcome to Back Yard Chicken!!! If you have a cage or pen that is mongoose proof it would be good for the babies to stay with their momma. The first week or two it doesn't take a very big area and she will keep them warm and protect them when possible. We have even used an old water trough for a quick cage and placed wire over it to keep predators out and the chickens safe inside. You will still need proper food and water but the momma is the best brooder you can find. Good Luck!!!

Thank you so much RedSoxs! That's pretty big help. I appreciate it. We will take the babies away after the first day or so. We are headed down to the farm supply store to get chick starter and hopefully they'll also have pine shaving. I'll def check out the Learning Center. Two more question:

1) If we raise the chicks inside, when do you suggest they could be transitioned the coop (again keeping in mind the mongoose)
2) Will there be an issue introducing them to the flock? Will our 9-month old flock welcome the younglings?

I will check the Learning Center next as these questions are probably answered there.

Thank you! And thank you liz9910, I'm excited to be part of this forum.

Tmelo

1) Weather is the determining factor. In your climate (I assume you don't live on some mountaintop in HI!) they could probably be outside in about 3-4 weeks. Make sure their coop is secure - not sure how tough a mongoose is but where I'm at we have a lot of raccoons - chicken wire is only good at keeping birds in - not so good at keeping predators out. We use hardware cloth (I have no idea why it is called that) - it is woven wire mesh - tough stuff. The squares are too small for greedy little paws to get through and it is too stout to bite through. Some folks bury it a few inches along the perimeter of their run to prevent things from digging under.
2) The introduction has to be done correctly. If you just toss them in with the established birds the older ones will terrorize and/or even kill the newbies. The term pecking order was never more true than with chickens. They are very social but have a well established hierarchical rank within their numbers. Weakness is exploited. How many introduce news birds is to wait until the ones to join the flock are at least 1/2 the size of the adults - I like them to be even larger. Then (and this can be done at anytime, let the birds have access to each other, but not physical contact - like through a fence. Do this for at least several days. Perhaps you can fence off part of the run for the newbies? Then when I think this break-in period is complete I will put the newbies into the coop with the older birds at dark. With poor night vision they won't get picked on in the dark. Let them spend the night this way so they get used to being cooped together. Then in the a.m. at first light (so the newbies are trapped!) I open the coop and let them emerge. Then monitor. There will be pecking order squabbles as the established birds will charge and peck at the new ones - particular at the feeder or waterer - wherever the birds are congregated in close proximity. They are just showing the newbies they are above them in the order. This is all just the way it is in the chicken world - don't be alarmed. Only if one is singled out for abuse - cornered and defenseless and getting pecked or spurred should you be concerned. If this happens isolate just that bird the same way as above and repeat the process.
Good luck - you will do great!!

Perfect, thanks again RedSoxs!
Thank you also Crooked-Creek. All great feedback.
And thanks to all the welcome greetings...

Back
Top Bottom