What to do when ducklings first hatch?

I have 6 broody ducks now. I candled all the eggs tonight and culled about 20 eggs. Each ducks is still sitting on 5-10 egg each and 1/2 are viable. I will seperate the broody from the non broody ducks when it gets closer to hatching time.

I have 6 broody ducks now. I candled all the eggs tonight and culled about 20 eggs. Each ducks is still sitting on 5-10 egg each and 1/2 are viable. I will seperate the broody from the non broody ducks when it gets closer to hatching time.

P.S. I have 10 duck eggs that went into lockdown/hatch this morning in my incubator... YA! this is my first time incubating duck eggs!!!

They all hatched! and I love them. I learned so much in a short time, about life, the universe and everything. :) Sounds odd, but true. I'm so happy to have this experience. It's wonderful seeing how animals are as parents when left to their own natural devices.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to manage my flock. I have mallards and muscovies. Apparently not the best for cross-breeding, infertility etc. Both populations are going to grow this year and intermingle. How do I keep parents from impregnating kids? I'm not very excited about maintaining two separate flocks.

and, now to get the muscovies laying....

what is the etiquette for asking questions on byc? do I just find a likely title for a thread and dive in? or start a new one? my answers don't always come up in the search box...

so many questions!

They all hatched! and I love them. I learned so much in a short time, about life, the universe and everything. :) Sounds odd, but true. I'm so happy to have this experience. It's wonderful seeing how animals are as parents when left to their own natural devices.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to manage my flock. I have mallards and muscovies. Apparently not the best for cross-breeding, infertility etc. Both populations are going to grow this year and intermingle. How do I keep parents from impregnating kids? I'm not very excited about maintaining two separate flocks.

and, now to get the muscovies laying....

what is the etiquette for asking questions on byc? do I just find a likely title for a thread and dive in? or start a new one? my answers don't always come up in the search box...

so many questions!
@huckleberrypres Congratulations on your hatch. please post pics when you can... also if you want to start a new thread go to top of page right next to where it say post reply[left hand side] it says start a new thread click there and start your own make any title you want but I bet if you titled it Baby pictures it will get alot of hits. we love baby pics..
pop.gif

Welcome to BYC!!

Last edited:
Omg, they're so beautiful!! And those pics are gorgeous! Is your friend a professional photographer? Those are great!! <3

Back
Top Bottom