What to do when it gets cold? And I mean COLD! :|

lol.png
What do I do when it gets COLD! REALLY REALLY COLD!?!? Well I take my hand out of the freezer is all! Cold around here is 45 degrees burr oh so cold in Southern California!
lol.png

Bubba

Since my chickens probably wouldn't wear parkas I had to resort to those soft glow, heat emitting red lizard lights from petsmart. I got 50watt and put two of them in their coop. They just emit enough heat to knock off the chill and the soft red glow is not deterring their sleep but is still allowingthem to see their food and water. They seem quite cozy. I put the bulbs in those fixtures they use in lizard cages, like the brooder fixtures but more shallow and without the outerwire cover. My chickens seem fat and happy. If our climates were colder here I would get a higher wattage buld to emit more heat but in North Carolina we don't get very cold so what I haveis great becasue mine are closed in at night anyway in their coop. Darlene

I just went out and checked on my girls. The temp outside right now is 18 F. Inside the shed it is 30. I didn't check in the henhouse/roosting area, but it typically is 10-15 degrees higher than the outer area. They got their breakfast of warm oatmeal and grapes, and I sprinkled a little scratch as I was leaving. I didn't get MY breakfast yet- toast and coffee in the car on the way to work most likely. Gotta go to work now, see ya'll later!

If I can talk my dh into picking me up some bales I will add them to the coop, that was pretty cool how hoosierhen did that. I had considered that earlier, and now am wishing I woulda just done that instead of insulating with insulation and plywood.

It is going to drop down to 29 which is alot colder than my animals are used to. Its windy too. I am going to cover the door to the barn soon. They have already had scratch today. They will get more at 3 in the morning. My pullets and cockeral are back in my living room enjoying the fireplace.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom