What to do when shipped eggs arrive in 2 days?

Kherome

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Ok, so I have some eggs arriving by mail in 2 days. (Wed) I had assumed that as soon as they got here I should unbox them and promptly put them into the incubator. (Which I started up today and it appears to be functioning and holding temp at 99 degrees)

But, I read in another thread that they should not go right into the incubator? Would someone please be kind enough to give me some proper instructions so that I don't ruin my chances to hatch out these eggs? Thank you

let them sit for 12 to 24hrs before putting them in the incubator
smile.png

Ok is there anything else I should know? The incubator has been running for 2 days, like I read. It's a self turner and so I don't think there is much else I can do?

Ya sounds like you've got it. Just watch the temperature for awhile after you put the eggs in to make sure it stays steady. However though dont do any adjustments till they have been in there for atleast 4 to 6 hours. That way the eggs will have warmed and you'll know if you need to adjust. One last thing make sure u have an accurate thermostat. Maybe use two.

I know this is contradictory to what has been posted many times here but hear me out. In the summer the eggs are exposed to hot temps in trucks which may start the incubation process then when they arrive their put on a counter for 12-24 hrs. In 72 ish degrees To rest I believe this action cools the embroyos to a point that it kills some. In the summertime I personally had very good hatch rates with shipped going directly into the incubator than ones left. Now spring and fall yeah u can let then sit out but summertime heat I suggest straight to incubator. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Interesting I hate to say it but never really thought of that. Just got use to the same routine. I personally have some shipped eggs in now that should be hatching Wednesday. Point is that on lockdown day I candled and had 4 eggs that had started developing but died. Now wondering if that could have played apart in it. I do remember it was hot when I received them... very interesting. .

If I had to choose the lesser of the two evils I would pick straight to incubator versus letting settle. My last summertime shipped eggs ( which was last aug 2013 ) in s. Louisiana which is very hot I hatched 6 out of 8

I also live in S. Louisiana and I just hatched out mine straight from truck to incubator. Very good success rate.

Back
Top Bottom