What to do when you first get waterfowl?

AgTeacherWV

Hatching
Aug 9, 2021
Am I just overthinking this- or what do we need to do to “settle” ducks and geese into living at our farm pond? Do they need to be locked in a pen up there before letting them roam the pond? If so how long? After I have waterfowl living there and want to introduce new- do I need to follow the same process? I have tried to search the web and this forum and can’t find a definite answer! Thank you!!!

Do they need to be locked in a pen up there before letting them roam the pond?
It is generally best to keep the birds penned in the area you wish them to stay in so they become acclimated to the area and do not wander, or fly off.
If so how long?
After a few days/week, they should realize this area is "home".
After I have waterfowl living there and want to introduce new- do I need to follow the same process?
As long as there are birds acclimated to the area, the newcomers will generally stay near the flock, and not leave. However, if the current flock attacks the newcomers this may entice them to leave so simply pay attention for the first day or two after bringing them.
into living at our farm pond?
Do consider a week or two of trapping around the pond for snapping turtles before allowing them in. Snappers will easily take a full-grown duck while in the water.

It is generally best to keep the birds penned in the area you wish them to stay in so they become acclimated to the area and do not wander, or fly off.

As long as there are birds acclimated to the area, the newcomers will generally stay near the flock, and not leave. However, if the current flock attacks the newcomers this may entice them to leave so simply pay attention for the first day or two after bringing them.

Do consider a week or two of trapping around the pond for snapping turtles before allowing them in. Snappers will easily take a full-grown duck while in the water.
Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for your response!!

How do you trap snapping turtles? I need to try this
I agree, how is this done? I don’t think we have any, but if the occasion arises, id love to know what to do.
I use a snapping turtle live trap, baited with chicken liver or gizzards inside an onion bag, placed, in the back of the trap. The smell of the meat spreads into the pond which quickly attracts any turtle into the trap.
On a cheap budget, you can use a long anchored line baited with the same material on a hook.

How do you trap snapping turtles? I need to try this

I use a snapping turtle live trap, baited with chicken liver or gizzards inside an onion bag, placed, in the back of the trap. The smell of the meat spreads into the pond which quickly attracts any turtle into the trap.
On a cheap budget, you can use a long anchored line baited with the same material on a hook.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom