What to do with a dead chicken in the middle of winter.

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure if this is the proper location - the mods can move it if it's not.
smile.png

Last night one of my chickens died. She was all wobbly and couldn't stand, but last time she was like this she got better. However, she was dead this morning when I went out. So... What would I do with her? The ground is frozen solid. There are 2 options we can think of:
1) Burn the carcass
2) Take it somewhere to a field and leave it for scavengers

Which would be the safer/wiser option? Or is there another way?

Do you have garbage pickup. If so wrap in a couple bags then in a black garbage bag. Put out with your weekly garbage.

I happen to have a taxidermist friend who LOVES to take casualties off my hands, so I'm lucky in that respect.

Frankly, I'd double bag it, and put it in the trash. Best not to give the scavengers a taste, as many of them are predators too.

Burning it just seems like a lot of work and fuel. Chicken and chicken parts are thrown in the trash in great quantities every day. It's fundamentally the same thing. That is, if you can keep it from smelling until trash day.

So sorry for your loss.

Quote:
What if rigor mortis has already set in - big time?
wink.png
I don't think Carmel would have been a pretty model though.
smile.png

Quote:
That's true.. Okay. I'll wrap it up. Hopefully it won't start smelling too bad before Wednesday.
hmm.png
Thanks guys!!

rigor mortis seems to be okay... As long as decomposition hasn't set in. I put them in the freezer until she can pick them up. I'm sure it sounds morbid, but she creates beautiful art out of birds that died of natural causes, and would otherwise be trashed. She also won't kill anything for use. It has to be a food animal, or something that died naturally.

If it's that cold outside the body won't start smelling for a good while. I have disposed of them in the woods, like over fifteen miles and over a nice large river from my home. Not close where someone might think "buffet!"

I used to chuck dead chickers by the stream across the road. I figure it'll go to good use being reclaimed by nature.
I don't worry about it attracting predators, my 3 dogs have kept the yard 100% predator free since forever. They take their job very seriously.

Don't live in the woods anymore, so they just go in waste bin
hit.gif

Fortunately havent had anything die for a few months.
D.gif

Last edited:
What about composting? Do you have a compost bin? I know it would be frozen but most are made of wire mesh / hardware cloth or something similar that would keep out scavengers. I put compost in my bin all winter then it starts 'working' before you know it.
Sorry for your loss. I would be keeping an eye on the other birds now for similar symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom