What to do with a rooster when you don’t want fertile eggs all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe leasing an animal would work? We have alpaca leasing programs here for 4-Her’s and many other animals, if she is of age too and interested, she could even show one at Big-E. :)
Either way I wanted chickens too. I would have chosen a different bred though.

They have leasing at her school for goats. I was trying to get her to do Alpaca’s b/c we know enough to get started with those but she ended up falling in love with silkies and changed her mind…..2 totally different animals 😂 I have thought about Alpaca’s myself though. One day. We live in a small city near tampa Florida. One day I will have my farm.

its only "potentially" meat but it isnt meat......

How often are you wanting to hatch chicks then?
OP's convictions are harmless yet important to OP.

OP- as you said, you can go without a rooster. Silkies go broody constantly so, when you want to hatch some eggs, just get 5 or 6 fertile eggs from your friend and put them in a nest. The first one that goes broody gets moved to your momma pen with the eggs and gets to hatch out the babies.

OP- as you said, you can go without a rooster. Silkies go broody constantly so, when you want to hatch some eggs, just get 5 or 6 fertile eggs from your friend and put them in a nest. The first one that goes broody gets moved to your momma pen with the eggs and gets to hatch out the babies.
That’s a great idea! Thank you! That’s even better than the incubator since my daughter will be active in the whole process.

Thank you for understanding the conviction part 😉

Either way I wanted chickens too. I would have chosen a different bred though.

They have leasing at her school for goats. I was trying to get her to do Alpaca’s b/c we know enough to get started with those but she ended up falling in love with silkies and changed her mind…..2 totally different animals 😂 I have thought about Alpaca’s myself though. One day. We live in a small city near tampa Florida. One day I will have my farm.
The reason i was thinking of Alpacas specifically is if she is going for silkies for the cuteness they have some resemblance and are also small. But silkies are a lot more docile!

This is a awesome idea, i’m just thinking, maybe it could be a hazard? Lots of diseases spread through eggs or on them. Might be overthinking things though.

Egg protein has all the same amino acids as animal protein. I don't think that vegans should allow themselves to eat eggs.

Vegans don't eat eggs. Some vegetarians, as lacto-ovo vegetarians, do.

ETA I mulled on this for a while and want to declare myself to be a vegetarian who eats mostly .eat, eggs and cheese. No one else's thoughts or feelings on the matter will impact how I define myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom