What to do with accidental Sorghum

wcroome

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
I had some maize type plants spring up over the last two months and now they've matured I've identified as Sorghum. I can only imagine this has come from the chicken feed fertilised with a bit of poop and loving the conditions.

I was hoping I would get ears of corn but alas.

What should I do with this? Human consumption suggestions also welcome. Can I just feed it back to the chickens. Any warnings about this. I notice that it can be toxic if wrong variety but I imagine this came from a chicken compatible kernel.

Attachments

• 2021-09-09T16_45_29+01_00.JPEG
    2021-09-09T16_45_29+01_00.JPEG
    352.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2021-09-09T16_45_52+01_00.JPEG
    2021-09-09T16_45_52+01_00.JPEG
    447.8 KB · Views: 2
ABSOLUTELY feed it back to the chickens. Mine love jumping up and plucking ripe seeds from the stalk. I consider it "enrichment activity", and actively promote it in my "Acres of Weeds".

Sorghum seeds can also be ground to make flour for your own consumption, but of course you need a significant amount to make it worth the effort, and an effective way to grind it fine. The grain can be cooked directly (i don't really have a comparable dish - something between cornkernels and oatmeal, with the appearance of large couscous), some varieties are used to make asweet syrup, and the dried stalks can be feed to other animals (my goats like it) or used as part of your deep bedding/deep litter system. Its a bit large for use lining nests.

This may be instructive.

Back
Top Bottom