What to do with all the Roosters???

Quote:
Probably 9 out of 10 of the roos I take to my poultry auction are destined for the chopping block.

The same probability goes for selling them on craigslist and the "farmer out in the country who has a bunch of hens but no rooster".

Eat 'em!

IMO, if they need to go away, they may as well go to the freezer. Even if the bird's only big enough for one meal, hey, that's a meal! The scrawniest birds I've ever butchered turned out to have more meat on them than they look like.

If it's gotta die, it's going in the freezer. O way I'm wasting perfectly good meat. Look at quail, people eat those tiny little things all the time. How about shrimp? No such thing as too small to bother.

Enjoy, they'll be very good, and remember, low heat, slow cooking.

Quote:
I know what you mean, I raised a few last year. I laughed at the "chicken plants" part.
DP breeds have more flavor and firmer texture. I'm going to slow roast one soon.
I just can't decide on using a honey/mustard/lemon glaze or stuffed with rosemary&garlic.

At 12 weeks they would make good friers.

BA=(my guess) Black Australorp?
could be Blue Andalusian. Or Blue Australorp. They also come in white.

People sometimes forget that a set of initials could stand for more than one thing. And forget that a breed may be available in more than one color, if one is the most popular. People often refer to "Buffs" meaning Buff Orpingtons, even though many other breeds have a buff variation. "Buff" is, after all, a color, not a breed. And Orpingtons can be not only buff, but black, blue, and white, as well. And there are people breeding other variations. Maybe the poster will clarify!

Last edited:
I have 10 BR chicks that came as packing peanuts with my bantam order.

Do BR's make a good bird for meat?

How old until I can take them for processing?

Back
Top Bottom