What to do with chicks after they hatch.

Chickababy

Hatching
Aug 14, 2015
We have a batch of eggs that have been incubated by a brooding hen. Two have already hatched but when I went to check they had fallen down because where she was brooding was in a raised box where the chicks cant get back to. I dont know what to do because she doesnt seem to be caring for them because there are about 5 eggs left. Should we get something for them and how soon do we feed and water them? Thanks ahead of time.

How long ago did the chicks hatch? They can go for a few days without food or water while waiting for the others to hatch. Should all the eggs be hatching now or are they spread out? Spread out eggs are a problem because the hen may not leave to take care of her already hatched chicks.

Maybe you could move the hen to a place where the chicks could have more room around her and add some food and water for them? Then they could move around a bit and still back to her to stay warm and safe.

It does depend on whether your hatch is staggered or not. A hen on hatching eggs won't get off the nest to take care of the first few and if they wander off they will die. Stuff it back under her. She will probably get off the nest on day two, so if your hatch is staggered you may have to pull and brood them. You could try moving the hen to the floor in a confined area where she will hopefully continue to sit on the eggs. As stated the chick won't need or want to eat for a day or two as they absorb the yolk right before hatching as energy.

They are staggered and we decided to the hatched ones in a box with a heat lamp. I don't know how staggered they are but I don't think more than a couple of days. So after they all hatch should I put them all together with the mother hen and the other chickens

Your hen may or may not take them back, you will have to see after they all hatch. I've had luck adding them back just as the last one is drying off. Stuff them under her and watch her for a while, if she start pecking at them too much or tossing them than you will have to brood them.

We have a moon that just had four eggs hatch. This is the first time ever for me having new babies. Do I need to separate mom and babies from flock? Is the rooster a concern?

We have a moon that just had four eggs hatch. This is the first time ever for me having new babies. Do I need to separate mom and babies from flock? Is the rooster a concern?
I like to slip a circle of wire around them and keep them separated that way for a week or two until the chicks are strong enough to keep up and the flock gets used to them. Chicks can be fragile for about a week.

Every flock is different, they may attack her and the chicks or they may ignore them. I have roosters that will help feed the chicks and others that peck at them.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your response and help! They're doing great, we have awhile before letting them join the flock but at least they'll be safe!

Back
Top Bottom