What to do with cockerel?

He's never attempted to mate them. He's always been scared of them which made it easier for them to keep him at the bottom of the pecking order.
Without watching at all times, it would be hard to say whether he's tried or not. Either way, it sounds like they're teaching him some manners, and I would say once he matures, he will assert himself and become the flock leader.

Without watching at all times, it would be hard to say whether he's tried or not. Either way, it sounds like they're teaching him some manners, and I would say once he matures, he will assert himself and become the flock leader.
I was always watching them from the time they'd be let out in the morning to when they went to bed. Only times I wasn't watching, was when I had to use the bathroom or get food. Other than that, I was always out there with them.
I wanted to watch so that I could figure out who his favorite hen was to make sure he didn't over mate her. I'm excited to for when he does start mating them so that I can have a broody hen hatch out chicks for me.

What should I do with him?
Is he destined to have to be alone forever?

Bobbi pretty much nailed it. He is immature, does not have the self-confidence to assert flock dominance. Quite often hens won't mate with a cockerel that has not earned their respect and that they don't consider a suitable father for their future chicks. From what you described he does not meet that criteria. I had a cockerel that did not win over all the hens until he was 11 months old. Others I trust on here say they have had some that took even longer. Most of my cockerels reach that around 7 months but that is an average. Some are earlier, some later. Some cockerels may never mature enough to take over a flock.

So what can you do? Like Bobbi said, put feeding and watering stations behind blinds, where he can eat and drink out of line of sight. As long as he is not being injured, let them work it out. If he is to ever win their respect he has to be with them.

You can isolate him with a few of the others. I'd go with the pullets instead of the hens, it will be easier for him to dominate them, but you can try hens if you wish. Give him a month or two to grow up before you try again.

Or you can keep him isolated and try to provide the companionship most chickens need yourself. It all depends on your goals and desires, not mine.

Is this a good sign? Normally they'd attack him right when he got close to the food.
Ignore where I dropped the food, one of them jumped at me and I ended up spilling most of it.

Back
Top Bottom