What to do with DOGS

Quote:
LOL looked at your tag line..... So i will take what you say as it being illegal...which it isn't... with a huge grain of salt.... I did warn anyone taking the DOGS side
wink.png

If it's not harming anything then YES it's illegal to shoot, taken with a grain of salt or not!

Quote:
That sounds like a nice dog, too bad there weren't more people that had dogs trained like that *sigh*

Independent eh? Never had a husky I take it!! lol Labs, needy. Husky... heck no!

Quote:
Yup, too true. There are WAY too many idiot dog owners out there. And I can relate to the health problems.. RUN??
gig.gif

Quote:
I have no troubles with people having to do what is needed -to deter or kill-, and even I would shoot a dog harming MY critters (dogs and chickens alike).

Now I have an off topic question, you say you've had dogs, so why do you not like them?

Quote:
Actually Wolfwoman the law frequently only requires that the dog worry the other animals, that for example includes running around their run.

Everyone should note that the law permits you to kill (not wound, nor hit with a bean bag) and that further the discharge of a firearm (if that is the method you choose) must be in accordance with the laws as well.

One of the key points in the law is that if the dog is on your property it makes no difference if the owner is there or not.

As someone who loves all animals...

I would have to say that dogs on the loose in this area are considered "marauding" and can be shot IF they are in the act of killing or have killed your livestock. Livestock does include poultry.

That said, I'd get maybe a pellet gun or a paintball gun and light them up if they come around your place. If you can catch them--put signs around their neck that say something like this is your warning--they have been chasing my chickens, if they come back to my place again..

Also, if they have tags on them--catch them, tie them up and call animal control and/or the owners. Tell them they were harassing your chickens and rather than shooting them, you're giving the owners a chance to take care of the problem.

One of my three dogs is a 1/2 Anatolian and it's his job to patrol our acreage and protect my livestock (again, poultry included) and my cats from cougars, coyotes, bears, dogs, people.

As much as you dislike dogs, you might consider getting a large livestock guardian dog to protect your flock. They have excellent temperaments around "their people" and they would be just fine with your kitties if raised around them. It wouldn't even have to come inside.

A few years back I lost my entire flock to a neighbor's German Shorthair and the week before that one of my cats went missing. Needless to say, I was not happy. The neighbors came and got their dog and offered me $20 for my flock. I had LOTS of chickens, nice ones, too...eventually, I was well-compensated and the next time the dog end up mauled (nearly to death) by my Anatolian, my neighbors gave her away to someone in town without chickens....

As far as putting up signs...dogs can't read.
smile.png

We refenced our acreage a few years back with just the smooth twisted wire but eventually, I'd like to put up some welded wire around a few acres for a safe zone for my poultry...you could also get an Electro Net (electrified poultry netting fence) and put that up around the general area of your chickens...

I would look up the leash law ordinance in your area as well as the "worrying of livestock" ordinance, make copies and mail them to your ten nearest neighbors -- you might include a note that mentions a dog being on your property recently attempting to attack your chickens and in future any dog worrying your livestock will be dealt with swiftly and efficiently. This puts your neighbors on notice to keep their dogs at home or risk the consequences. It lets your neighbors know that essentially their animal has trespassed.

Jenny

Oh yea ? Well if your chicken or duck or guinea fowl or whatever comes on my land to eat my grass, or worms, or tomatoes I'll blow that lizard with feathers into chunks and feed it to my roaming pack of vicious pit bulls.

Of course you and I both realize I'm being sarcastic. My point is there is a movement afoot in this country so that everyone is able to keep a few chickens in your backyard, hence the name BACKYARD CHICKENS. Not WILDERNESS chickens. Not 50 ACRE FARM CHICKENS. Not RURAL CHICKENS. I am safe here in rural New England, 1 acre = 100 poultry, and folks here understand, but for those of you in areas where you are fighting the good fight to keep some poultry, I'm sure the townsfolk will come rushing to your cause when you are out in the yard plugging people's pets. Nation wide, it will be wonderful for town Planning and Zoning committees considering zoning variances and doing research on BACKYARD poultry to see some 8 year old on You Tube crying because some lunatic shot his dog. Wrong or right, legal or not, there are better ways. Photograph the offending animal on your land, document it with a legal complaint, rally the neighbors, live trap it and have it placed in the pound, whatever. Now if a vicious dog was to come on my land and I thought it might really be a threat to my family, I'd be the first one to shoot it, on the spot. No warnings. I have been handling guns and dogs since I was 10, and if I shot every cat or dog, or even raccoon or coyote, that wandered onto my land, near my birds, I'd have nowhere to bury them all. If you think I'd sit idly by while some dog mauled my poultry, you're wrong. I'd handle it. Quietly. I'm sure some of you will take offense to this, so be it. I'm just asking you to look at the big picture.

Had to edit because i left a word out.

Last edited:
Actually the law is stated in Iowa that if a dog does not have a collar with rabies tag (ownership tags do not count) you not only have permission but it is encouraged that they be shot. They don't have to be doing anything. If you shoot it and it does have tags most farmers just SSS but I highly doubt any dog owner would win a case here aside from near a larger town or 2. Livestock owners hold most of the rights and animal control is pretty nonexistent here. The police station with one pen in the back is animal control in most places. Some of my attempts to call in about dogs have been met with "Don't you have anyone to shoot it?" irregardless of what it's doing or not doing to my animals.

Fence 18 acres??? Mostly woods??? LOL you are lucky you are all fenced in

I've found the more land you own and the farther out in the middle of nowhere you are the more important fences become instead of less. When you switch from occasional neighborhood pets to coyotes, fishercats (I'll take the coyotes over that sucker showing up again), foxes, and packs of feral dogs you only end up with even more trouble. Then there's the occasional escape of livestock or those dang guineas who think the whole world belongs to them and manage to wander off this 40 acre section. I'd give about anything for a good perimeter fence around every foot of my property from open field to woods to creek but for now I'm renting a family farm and most of the land is set aside for wildlife so I am not allowed. In the future when we own a house I am putting in 5' high, heavy gauge field fencing backed by hot wire top and bottom around the entire thing with a good gate at the driveway. Then I'll build the pasture/animal runs inside it. No more chasing guineas down or rushing to collect horses before they reach the highway. No more coyotes, no more foxes, minimal raccoons, no more strays, no more ferals, and I won't have to keep my dogs in a specific area. Now if only fences kept out fishercats..... I'll trade you a fishercat for every stray dog you have to deal with for the rest of your life.
tongue.png

If there is an animal on my property that I don't want to be there I take care of them..All except those darn hawks.I think talking with neighbors is a bad idea.They know their animals should not be running around.Responsible ones will resolve escape issues,and unfortunately for the animals their lives are cut short(for many reasons) if they continue to roam. With your rural location I would recommend SSS.I am in the city so shooting guns is not permitted.

Taking care of the issue right away instead of being upset over it for weeks has helped me a lot.I fretted over talking to neighbors.Made the mistake ONE TIME with neighbors whose cats used my house foundation as a toilet area.Would have been better to just remove the cats. I have cats and dogs too and know they can be a problem for others so they are fenced in.

Best wishes!

Lots of "put up fences" on here....
One of the benefits of living where i do is i have wildlife in my yard... Deer, Porcupines, wild turkeys, and a whole host of critters that i ENJOY having in my yard... - oh and our family of
bun.gif
bunnies.... So why do i have to deprive myself of one of the reasons we moved here and shell out a bunch of money, hire someone - or better yet - take our TIME we don't have to put up a fence because someone else can't control their animal or simply refuses to?
I don't get this society where these dogs come first - I really just don't..............
I appreciate that most of you understand and are commiserating with me
smile.png
For those of you who think i am some sort of monster... re-read everything i wrote and added to my post... i CARE for all animals... but this is MY property - and no dogs can't read.... But, if the owners drive by (which most don't because I am thankfully at the END of the dead end dirt road) then they have been duly warned.
and again... i have health issues that prevent me from running around after someone's dog in my yard.... We are pretty sure we know the offending family down the road and they let all their dogs run around and they chase cars too.... lovely, just lovely....

Quote:
The 8 year old would be crying becuase his/her parents didn't CARE enough to keep fido home or watch where the dog was. I've owned dogs for YEARS...not ONCE did my dogs get out or in another persons yard and I did NOT have a fenced in yard, nor did i keep my dogs on runs - they behaved because i took the time to train them AND i watched them like a hawk or I was outside with them to make sure they stayed where they were suppose to. I figure if i can be responsible enough to ensure my dogs did not get out and away to bother others, than others can do the same. People just buy dogs, then let them do whatever they want, and go wherever they want like this world belongs to them. It is frustrating and irritating... and it isn't the dogs fault, it is the owner's fault and the dog is the one who suffers for it - but i won't be the one who suffers for it.... I CAN'T be doing that....... If you read other things i posted, i am looking into getting a paint gun to MARK the animal first... next time then they get SHOT. Fair warning.... BIG picture enough......
EDIT: oh and my chickens don't get out of my yard anymore than my dogs did... or my cat who stays INSIDE not bothering anyone... I was raised to respect others rights i have 18 acres I should be able to have my chickens out in it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom