What to do with DOGS

OliviaDeHav

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Edited version so hopefully folks will stop getting so upset about dogs vs cats or dogs vs human rights... it really isn't about all that

we live WAY out in the country... 18 acres we have - and the least anyone can have here is 15 acres. Since we live in the country, it seems people think their dogs can just ROAM anywhere they want.
I can't stand dog owners that think THEIR dog comes before me This is MY property and i don't want their pooping,
barnie.gif
chicken attacking dogs on my land!!
somad.gif
ok, that is off my chest.... phew
roll.png

What kind of posting do i need on my property IF ANY to shoot any dog even looking cross eyed (said with tongue in cheek here!) at my chickens. I just went out earlier to give them some left over haddock - fortunatetly i was making lunch for me and my daughter, so I ran out and gave them their dish and left them in the run - i was going to let them out into the yard. Not 5 minutes later my son, who JUST HAD SURGERY and should not be running around outside, says DOGS - grabs a broom and runs around the house... I have severe fibro and RAN, yes, i attempted to RUN and I just can't any longer - but grabbed a baseball bat and swang it at the dogs... and i found I can't swing a bat either
hit.gif

But, what have others here done about dogs.... dont' tell me to live with them please or i might not answer nicely... this is MY property and WE pay for it, I SAY what is on it and who and what is welcome..
wink.png

Can I also add that it isn't our nature to hurt any living thing! we feel we are God's stewards and are here to care for the earth and His creatures.... But, it is my nature to protect what is mine and what i love and care for....

Final note: I'd like to thank everyone that wrote kind words of advice...
We will most likely solve our problems with a paintball gun if we can get one that isn't too expensive - i think that is the best advice on here that many folks have given...
for those of you who want to lecture me on GUN use or kind treatment of animals... STOP
Since you don't know me personally, please don't presume to sum me up by a couple of questions or posts! that is ridiculous.

The issue seems to have gone to the DOGS so to speak... so done posting on this... it isn't helpful at this point as the issue is clouded with emotions about dogs - i worked rescue for almost 10 years and understand that people LOVe their dogs - but if they really loved them they'd keep them home where they are safe and looked after.....

Last edited:
From animallawinfo.com under new hampshire:
466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized.

Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Appears to be entirely legal to shoot to kill with no warning provided the owner is not present. If the owner is present or you know who they are you can file a claim for livestock damage and receive money for any vet care or cost to replace should one get attacked.

Personally I like to start with nonlethal force if nothing has been killed yet and I can track down the owners. Shoot the dog with a paintball marker and you've got complete evidence of who was on your property while giving it a good reason not to return. A one time escapee I'll give a reprieve to. If I see it again or end up with a dog who seems only interested in slaughter it's dead. There is a neighbor with a very nice aussie shep that every so often ends up over here and follows my chickens around who freak out but it has not actually tried to injure them, just herd and follow them about, and the owner immediately appologizes, offers to pay me, and then tries to solve how to keep their dog on their property. I can understand why they don't want to completely lock her up though. She is a nice little dog who has done no harm and is very useful on their farm. Occasionally she just seems too intrigued by my critters to stay away. That's one of the reasons I don't always shoot first. On the other hand someone dumped a min pin around here and it slaughtered most of my flock the first year. I was out for blood but decided to catch it and see if it had tags which of course it didn't and was turned over to animal control who probably put it down due to how violent it as being toward everyone. Threatened to bite me more than once after I snagged it with a loop. That one I should have just had shot but I was hoping to get some money to replace the 2 dozen rare breed birds it wiped out.​

Not sure about the laws in NH, but in most rural areas, you can shoot a dog that's worrying your chickens. Do you have animal control officers in your area? I'd call them to find out what your rights are.

Find out what local laws are concerning firearms. Where I live, I can shoot what ever I want, since I live in county, not city jurisdiction.

Then, do what I do...shoot them.

If you have to, do the SSS routine...Shoot, Shovel, and Shush.

Well two things you can do, first read this: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xlv/466/466-28.htm , then you can also read the liability laws of New Hampshire.

Between those and the law the link points to will give you the full range of options.

The rules on my property are if the dog is under control of its owner and both have been invited to be on my property and the dog leaves my birds alone the dog gets a pass, all other situations result in other than dog friendly actions being taken.

If it's just looking crosseyed at something and nothing else, you best NOT shoot it. That would be both illegal AND immoral.

That being said, most states do let you shoot any animal that is ATTACKING your livestock. Unfortunately there are lots of irresponsible owners that DO think it's ok to let their dogs run free. IMHO -even tho I HATE CATS and LOVE DOGS- those people are idiots and I feel nothing for them when they lose their dog. I only feel for the dog. If I had the same problem, chances are I'd catch the dog and take it to the pound a time or six so they can pay the fines. If it was aggressive, then something else would be done.

Well I hate cats but agree with you regarding folks letting their dogs (or cats) roam free. I have paintball guns and would shoot them if necessary but my property is fenced where dogs can not get in.
wink.png

Quote:
LOL looked at your tag line..... So i will take what you say as it being illegal...which it isn't... with a huge grain of salt.... I did warn anyone taking the DOGS side
wink.png
our neighbor's dog comes up our driveway ALL the time... I like that dog - it is a nice respectful animal... it will stand there, look at me and i say, "Go home" (NICELY of course) and she just wags her tail and goes next door... i have no issue with that and even if that dog came into the yard at the chickens I'd try to get her to shoo off... this dog today was a predator by behavior.... I've owned dogs in the past and they all were well behaved and well controlled, i respected the rights of others - I just found over the years that i don't care for anything THAT needy.... I like an independent animal... I guess that is why I like chickens
smile.png
I like their attitudes
smile.png

I'd not hurt anything just for being in my yard... but then it is my yard..... As stated - I also have health issues that prevent me from running after the stupid thing to see if it has tags etc.... I mean please! if the person loves their dog - WATCH it and take care of it - don't let it run around to get hit by a car, or shot.... I too feel sorry for most dogs because their owners are usually the idiots. I just moved from a town where everyone just about let their dogs run all over... drove me nuts! i could be walking minding my own business and some dumb mutt comes and starts jumping on me - again - i have health isses - fibro causes PAIN and it hurt like crazy having some stupid dog jumping on me! but i was nice as the owner caught up with it and then ignores the fact that i am even standing there and just says, "oh come on muffy, you silly girl" and walks away. THAT is why i am use to..... HUMANS should come first not a dog - or a cat
wink.png

We are looking into a shot gun that wil fire the bean bag first at the dog to deter them, then if the dog does not respond, we will kill it.... I made a sign to put on my property... Oh and owners? with the dogs??? surely you jest
wink.png

Quote:
My cat is INDOORS - I don't think anyone's animal should bother anyone else on their property - I am the one that wants the cat. Why should someone else clean up after it? Or have their birds attacked by it?
Paintball gun sounds good as someone stated, it would TAG the dog to prove it was on my property.... Fence 18 acres??? Mostly woods??? LOL you are lucky you are all fenced in
smile.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I have to share this with my hubby!!! I have no issue with the old kind of dogs.... remember when a dog was just the alarm out in the driveway who got table scraps and behaved itself.... anyway.... We are out in the country..... not near the city at all... we hear gun shots of all kinds most days.

Back
Top Bottom