What to do with ducks with an impending hurricane?

How are you holding up? I'm a big ball of nerves this is such a scary looking storm and when I hear they don't know where it's gonna go of course that scares us all even more. I wanted to tell you that you all are in my prayers and hope things are ok as much as they can be at this time :hugs We are definitely in the same boat I'm not that far from Orlando, I live in Lakeland and right now I definitely wish I was somewhere else. @Lover duck duck Thank you. I hope it goes farther off coast. My friend’s mom lives in Lakeland and she’s all alone. I feel sooo bad for her. But she won’t leave. Thank you for your prayers, I’m praying for all of us too.

7 hi hi jjj

1E5B10EA-B051-4EF4-B891-401A11F77FBD.jpeg
3DCC6C51-E833-4229-B445-425F82618E56.jpeg
40F28B76-4A7B-4BAD-B9BA-29A57CE8D437.jpeg
8F4B0FBD-18A4-4D53-89D2-A8010ED91EDB.jpeg

I’m back to thinking they will probably do best to remain in their duck house during the storm.
Our duck house is 8x8 and built of heavy pressure treated deck boards bolted to a thick concrete pad. It also has a slanted metal roof on 1” plywood. There is also a 10” French drain system on 3 sides and floor planks for drainage / cleaning.
Like most ducks, mine hate change and don’t want to be in the barn enclosure with the chickens. They are most upset with us that we drained their pond down a few feet last night.
I just have 2 Saxony father / son drakes (Herman & Hansel), 3 Saxony ducks( Gretel, Hilda & Helga) and 1 duck that must have had a Pekin Dad (Cindy). They are the best ducks ever ❣️.
I will update you when we know more about when this slow moving hurricane hits *

* prepared for lots of water... House was built up 12’ by NASA engineer and rebuilt / over-engineered by 2 IBM nuts for optimal wind mitigation. Have 88 year old mother-in-law and brother sheltering here with us as usual.

How are you holding up? I'm a big ball of nerves this is such a scary looking storm and when I hear they don't know where it's gonna go of course that scares us all even more. I wanted to tell you that you all are in my prayers and hope things are ok as much as they can be at this time :hugs We are definitely in the same boat I'm not that far from Orlando, I live in Lakeland and right now I definitely wish I was somewhere else. @Lover duck duck

I suspect you should be okay out there in Lakeland. But risk is T-storms and Tornadoes that can spin off a hurricane. We had one touch down 3 miles south of us with Irma. Took the steeple off the Baptist Church and they just got it fixed.

7 hi hi jjj

Ever seen the dog x pens? @DuckyDonna got a couple at Walmart they would probably work at keeping the ducks contained in one area.
Folding tables work, too. Just set them up normally, then turn the on their sides so the legs are on the outside. The solid sides keep things a bit dark (so the birds are more relaxed and do a pretty fair job of containing the bedding. The bonus is that they're easy to clean up afterwards with a scrub brush and some bleach.
Good Luck!

My apologies to everyone, I haven’t been receiving notifications. Thank you to all for your prayers. I’m sure prepping my family and all my pets for the worse but hoping for the best. I can’t put them in the garage as I will be putting both my shire horses in there just like I did with Irma. So I think I will try to find a portable kennel and put them in one of my bathrooms as they are very large bathrooms. Thank you again everyone.
Shires in the garage? DD is ready to move in with you!

Hey
Thank you. I love mine too that is why I was concerned about leaving them out. My horses are also going in the garage. Which part of the world is that, I’m thinking of moving in the near future :)
, if you're thinking of moving, I highly recommend the DelMarVa area - Maryland, Virginia and Delaware. You can include a good bit of West Virginia in there, too. We get some flooding and tropical storms, which we all think are major, but true natural disasters are few and far between. Thank Heavens!

Hey

, if you're thinking of moving, I highly recommend the DelMarVa area - Maryland, Virginia and Delaware. You can include a good bit of West Virginia in there, too. We get some flooding and tropical storms, which we all think are major, but true natural disasters are few and far between. Thank Heavens!
Ha - I’d be back in New England and just a snow bird if it weren’t for my husband and his mother❣️ Almost 30 years of this insane tropical weather has me wishing I’d not come back from CT. last week. I so miss having 4 seasons instead of just 2 (HOT & NOT SO HOT).

Ha - I’d be back in New England and just a snow bird if it weren’t for my husband and his mother❣️ Almost 30 years of this insane tropical weather has me wishing I’d not come back from CT. last week. I so miss having 4 seasons instead of just 2 (HOT & NOT SO HOT).
Then you need Maryland ... there's a reason they call it "America in Miniature!" From where I'm situated, at the top of The Bay, I can get to skiing or Atlantic beach-combing in two hours. We have four seasons, real snow, real Fall colors, Spring flowers in March and a summer that is (mostly) bearable. We rarely get a White Christmas, but we've been known to get a White Turkey-Day and a snowed-in Groundhog Day ... just enough to make it interesting. I complain about it a lot, but I love Maryland and can't imagine living anywhere else ... unless it's just across the border in Delaware ... at the beach!

Back
Top Bottom