What to do with eggs with varying degrees of displaced air cells?

scooter16

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Pittsboro, NC
My eggs arrived today via USPS. They are a variety of LF chicken eggs-15. One was broken and I culled. The blastoderm vs blastodisc was so tiny, I had to get my "cheater" glasses and a magnifying glass to see. Appeared fertile. Here is my dilemma....Upon candeling...3 eggs appear to have ok air cells, another egg has no pointy end, is perfectly round. All but the 3 have varying degrees of displaced air cells or no air cell and "loose"/wiggly inside. I have set them in my basement and plan to leave for 22 hours. I have them pointy end down(I think) in a styrofoam egg carton with bottoms cut out. Do I lay the 3 eggs horizontal tomorrow?,,, but leave all the rest in the egg carton and just tip each end 45 degrees? Do I leave them all in carton? The bator temp will be hotter at the top of the egg...is that ok? I raised my thermometers up. Do I still candle them to cull at 4-5 days??? Will I be able to accurately see if things are floaty?? Do I take them out of carton after 15days(some sources say to...others say leave in carton all 21days.?? How do they hatch upright??? All these questions will be keeping me awake. Any help is appreciated. Haven't hatched in 15 years. Incubator is Little Giant still air, with no turning device. Thanks, Lynn Marie

sorry it took so long to get a reply. im not an expert on shipped eggs. but this is what I would do:

egg with no pointy end, look for air sack and put it up.

other eggs, poke holes in cartons for ventilation and put them in cartons pointy end down. let them set 24 hours without turning then leave in cartons and turn as you mentioned. on day 18 remove them from the cartons and lay them down. (ive found cartons tend to keep chicks from completely piping out. the turner for a little giant incubator holds them the same angles as the cartons.

you should be able to see the yolk is floaty.

keep in mind with shipped eggs (especially if shipped over 100 miles), if you get a hatch rate of 50% you have done well.

best of luck,
brian

Thanks...info was helpful. This was supposed to be a birthday present to myself...and all I have done is stress out over the displaced air cell shipping issue. Gotta let it go and do best I can. Always another hatch and things to learn. I joined a hatch a long (VannahRAe's) to live and learn.

LynnMarie

your gonna be an addict LOL. but your right, chickens make eggs every day, if there is something wrong with an egg; its best to move on and get another.

Back
Top Bottom