What to do with hens that aren't laying

So an update on these hens, watched them carefully last Friday and not once did they even make an attempt to lay. They just grazed and free ranged all day. When do I pull the plug on them, it will be a yr in February for the age.

Have you confined them for at least week or more?

You can't just 'keep a close eye' on them......
.....unless you literally did not take your eye off them for more than 5 minutes all.day.long for 3 day running.(which is impossible IMO)

Have you checked vents and especially pelvic points?

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

I would cull and get new hens. These are not working for you and your needs. It might be difficult to get hens or even chicks this time of year, but if you contact your local feed store, poultry club, or county extension sometimes people do have some birds for sale.

Mrs K

What do their combs and wattles look like? Have you checked the points between their pelvic bones? Have you locked them up for a week or more? In my opinion, 24 hours isn't enough - when I do that, some of mine that regularly lay in other places, don't always lay the first day they're locked up. I'm guessing they have hidden nests, but I suppose it could be that they're not laying at all... I can understand one, maybe two in a flock of several that aren't laying, but three seems like a lot. What are you feeding them?

still can't believe I got hens that won't ever lay. What r the chances. Lol
I don't buy it!

My guess is they are just maturing still with this time of year effecting them. Each bird is an individual. And so far none of mine seem to know what's expected for their breed.

Do you add extra light? What is your set up? I agree that one day may not be enough to tell if they are laying or not. Maybe that wasn't their day. Plus I think they can hold out if they want to when something is different.

I wouldn't cull at this point, because you still have to replace them. And raising chicks isn't necessarily easy and they still won't lay for God knows how long. (4-8 months again)
hmm.png

If your girls indeed aren't hiding a nest, chances are they will begin laying when daylight starts increasing. At least that's my guess.

I know waiting on new layers can be so frustrating, but when they do start to lay the eggs should be bigger than they would have been at say 5 months old. So maybe it isn't all bad.
smile.png

Oh please give them a chance. Lock them up in the coop for couple of days. Three hens not laying is weird. I assume you are giving them good food besides just letting them free range.

It is frustrating because they are only one month younger then my 6 sex links who do lay everyday. I believe my setup is good because every else lays everyday. The only thing that is different with them is they tend to hang with them 3 selfs since they were chicks raised together. My main flock won't accept them for some reason. I have nesting boxes in a ready built shed. Everyone goes in the coop/ shed to sleep and lay. So I can't figure anything else on what could be the issue. Attached pic of nesting box and coop.

I have a similar issue with 10 mature laying hens (32 week) not laying. I have found soft eggs, a broken pelvis and only 1 egg every other day. Vet said I need to add calcium to diet. I just think they are not ready to lay and I am going to have to wait.
Now we are into cold weather, we are under construction adding more room to coop, we have introduced 6 week olds to flock and I understand all these situations are reasons for hens to stop laying.
I may not see anything until Spring 2017, but, that is ok. I don't mind waiting as long as they are all healthy.
I have been offering layer feed and grower feed to both age groups, but, babies prefer layer feed. Will change and only offer grower feed and oyster shell for next 6 weeks at least.

It is frustrating because they are only one month younger then my 6 sex links who do lay everyday. I believe my setup is good because every else lays everyday. The only thing that is different with them is they tend to hang with them 3 selfs since they were chicks raised together. My main flock won't accept them for some reason. I have nesting boxes in a ready built shed. Everyone goes in the coop/ shed to sleep and lay. So I can't figure anything else on what could be the issue. Attached pic of nesting box and coop.

Jaybud, one thing I can tell you after nearly four years with hens of varying breeds is that the Easter Eggers are slow to mature and begin laying. When they do, they tend to lay in various places until they learn to lay with the other hens that are older. Younger hens are lower on the pecking order, so if the nesting boxes are occupied with other birds, the EE will lay elsewhere, and may even do so with an empty box available because they are leary of the older hens that may be using them. The sex links you mentioned can and often do begin laying at around 16-18 weeks, so they aren't a good comparison.

I have three EE hens that are 28 weeks old now and have been laying since late September. Two of them lay pinkish brown eggs and one lays a beautiful blue egg. I find blue eggs in the nesting boxes most times, but the other two lay in the front yard under the azaleas. I have one egg marked with an x so I know which one to leave behind as a decoy. As long as I can find the eggs, I don't want to lock them up. When I can't find them, I'll lock them up for a few weeks to retrain them.

I would BET that your birds are either laying or close to it and they have a secret nest somewhere. Lock them up for a week or so. If you get eggs from them, you have your answer. If not, then give them a few more weeks and see what happens. It may also be feed issues, etc. but I think the simple answer is that the are laying somewhere else.

I can't speak to the Sebright as I've never had one of those.

Back
Top Bottom