1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with Quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by andischickenfarm, Jul 15, 2007.

1. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I found some cheap fertile quail eggs, but after they hatch what do I do with them? [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Andi

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I've been wondering the same thing about Button Quail. Other than being yet another cutie strolling around in a feather coat, are they actually good for anything? Chickens can be lap pets and give us eggs, but Button quail? What do ya do with them besides feed, cleanup, feed, cleanup, etc?

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    well u can also eat them [​IMG]

well i have never have quail but they are cute and a little skittish acting,but thats just me.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    All I can think of for quail is having them for cute little eggs. Don't you see quail eggs in snooty restraints as a delicacy or something? Or you could have yummy quail dinner.
    Button Quail are so adorable, but I can't see how they'd be useful. Not much there to eat and who would want to eat one of those little cuties anyway? They fly all over the place and I think you need them caged to keep them around...they don't seem very friendly.

5. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    do you mean as in what do I do with a bunch of baby quail or what do i do when they grow up?
    Afte they hatch get a quail waterer base, grind up some wild game bird starter and keep them warm. They start to fly around 5 or 6 weeks and then the fun begins LOL. You have to have a lid or everytime you walk by or up or anything they take off flying!! try this site for more ideas.
    http://www.thatquailplace.com/index.htm

C

6. the outdoorsman44

the outdoorsman44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    you can eat them

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They make great pets and their eggs are great for you. Coturnix are a good choice, button quail a bit on the small size and skittish.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    POST IS FROM 4 YRS AGO... I'D HOPE THEY FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW [​IMG]

9. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:LOL...
    Maybe we'll get an update [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Jessa