what to do with rooster not allowed

I have a silkie rooster about 4 months old, but someone complained and now we have to get a permit which allows hens but not roosters. Anyone know what to do with the rooster? He is very friendly and I'd hate to see him go.
a crow collar might be a good investment for you. we recently bought one for our silkie roo and his crow is much quieter now. you can also make one yourself by simply getting a piece of double sided velcro and wrapping it around your roos neck, making sure there is still room for 2 fingers between the velcro and his neck. it's completely humane, and the roo will still be able to breath as long as it isnt too tight.

a crow collar might be a good investment for you. we recently bought one for our silkie roo and his crow is much quieter now. you can also make one yourself by simply getting a piece of double sided velcro and wrapping it around your roos neck, making sure there is still room for 2 fingers between the velcro and his neck. it's completely humane, and the roo will still be able to breath as long as it isnt too tight.
Hi! Where exactly (over the crop, above, or below) on your silkies neck did you place the collar? I have invested in two collars (size small) for 6 month olds. My larger silkie keeps on crowing after many adjustments. Smaller silkie roo falls over from the collar! I have no idea what to do with my 2 accidental roos if the collars do not work out. (Have them posted on BYC, Craigslist, checked farms) And of course, we got attached, so do not want to eat them, at least not yet !

Hi! Where exactly (over the crop, above, or below) on your silkies neck did you place the collar? I have invested in two collars (size small) for 6 month olds. My larger silkie keeps on crowing after many adjustments. Smaller silkie roo falls over from the collar! I have no idea what to do with my 2 accidental roos if the collars do not work out. (Have them posted on BYC, Craigslist, checked farms) And of course, we got attached, so do not want to eat them, at least not yet !
Oh my gravy...I have silkies as well. Aside from having a hard time eating a “pet”, have you seen a Silkie that has been processed? I personally couldn’t.
Now for your actual question...I had luck early in “the season” rehoming 2 of my roosters on chicken groups. However, I myself have a Silkie roo that I need to rehome and am having no luck...

Honestly crow collars dont work as effectively as they should. In order to stop the bird from crowing you need to apply pressure to the vocal cords so they can't vibrate. Your bird will still crow because...well...it can breathe. If it is simply a noise ordinance surrounding the crowing they are great for that. But if it specifically says in the laws no roosters...no roosters. If you cant find a home for him and cant stand the idea of eating him, you can always pay a vet to euthanize him.

I had the SAME THING happen to me a few months ago! Here's what we did: we bought homey a diaper and brought him in the house. Was it ideal? No. But did he end up as dinner? No.

He was actually very sweet indoors. We became his flock, and he would sit with us all the time. We set up a cage for him to go to whenever he wanted. We also put a little perch for him in the window sill.

We have since moved, so he is back with his girls, but he was a house rooster for about 6 months.

Here's Picotee:

20200525_125731.jpg

We took him for walks on a leash, too, because he couldn't go outside at all. But the county people said he was perfectly legal inside.

My son was so angry! He would go in our backyard and crow at the top of his lungs repeatedly just to pi** off the complainers! 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom