What to do with roosters?

GoatGirl123

Songster
May 11, 2021
Escondido California
hi. Recently one of my chickens has become broody. Last year she hatched two chicks and the experience was amazing! I really want to do it again. But If I let her hatch eggs again one of them might turn out to be a rooster. However we already have one rooster and according to our city ordinances we can have no more than one question. Do you guys know of any place I can send a rooster? I live in the San Diego area in California. Thanks🙂

hi. Recently one of my chickens has become broody. Last year she hatched two chicks and the experience was amazing! I really want to do it again. But If I let her hatch eggs again one of them might turn out to be a rooster. However we already have one rooster and according to our city ordinances we can have no more than one question. Do you guys know of any place I can send a rooster? I live in the San Diego area in California. Thanks🙂
You could always try to rehome it on Craigslist or here on the rehoming thread

Last edited:
Chicken Noodle Soup GIF by General Mills

Or...that of course, however I don’t have supplies to butcher them, so I will just try to rehome them if I ever have a rooster I cannot keep
All you need is a sharp knife. Or an ax. Or garden shears. Stuff most people have lying around at home, or at least wouldn't be hard to acquire. Nothing beats the taste of homegrown meat....

Nor the courage which is the main problem
That's the hard part. I cried the first time. Took me weeks to work up to it too. But, I know that my birds are treated well and have a quick, calm death. I only process cockerels I cannot re-home. I have had great success on craigslist, joining groups on FB, and I just delivered one to a fellow member on BYC today, drove 2 1/2 hours to give him a good home. So I feel you! Time your ads for Friday night or Saturday Morning, that seems to be the best time to get a response. Repost weekly if you don't get an immediate response, it's usually fairy easy to find someone to take them.

Back
Top Bottom