What to do with roosters?

That's the hard part. I cried the first time. Took me weeks to work up to it too. But, I know that my birds are treated well and have a quick, calm death. I only process cockerels I cannot re-home. I have had great success on craigslist, joining groups on FB, and I just delivered one to a fellow member on BYC today, drove 2 1/2 hours to give him a good home. So I feel you! Time your ads for Friday night or Saturday Morning, that seems to be the best time to get a response. Repost weekly if you don't get an immediate response, it's usually fairy easy to find someone to take them.
Yep, although I am lucky enough to not have ever needed to deal with this before up until now...although I will soon when I hatch 6 of our own eggs!!

Yep, although I am lucky enough to not have ever needed to deal with this before up until now...although I will soon when I hatch 6 of our own eggs!!
I absolutely love incubating eggs, (and I am so looking forward to having my first broody, I finally have some breeds for it). I think it's far more ethical to raise the extra males to eat than to do what some of those hatcheries do to those poor little boys ☹️

I absolutely love incubating eggs, (and I am so looking forward to having my first broody, I finally have some breeds for it). I think it's far more ethical to raise the extra males to eat than to do what some of those hatcheries do to those poor little boys ☹️
I agree, I dont think butchering is cruel, I just dont have the courage to do it, but I know I will have to one day in the distant future...or...my dad could.

I agree, I dont think butchering is cruel, I just dont have the courage to do it, but I know I will have to one day in the distant future...or...my dad could.
Yeah, once the deed is done the actual plucking and cleaning is not bad. It's just really difficult to care for something and then kill it. Goes against my natural inclinations. I do eat plenty of meat though, so I like the idea of responsible harvest. They may say Chicken houses are not inhumane, but after seeing the crowding and the fact they have to bring in specialized cleaning crews to sanitize afterwards it really changed my opinion on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom