What to do with Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roostercluck, May 27, 2012.

1. roostercluck

roostercluck Chirping

May 26, 2012
    Arkansas
    I have 10 nine week old silver-laced wyandottes. I believe 5 are roosters and 5 are hens. Should I keep all the roosters or just one?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just one.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Songster

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    just one

4. roostercluck

roostercluck Chirping

May 26, 2012
    Arkansas
    I think I will keep just one but what will I do with the rest?

5. MaresNest

MaresNest In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    I'm interested in the replies to this, too. I have 2 Production Red cockerels that I thought were pullets. I am told that there will not be much meat on them, and I'm squeamish about eating a former pet. I'm worried about re-homing them because I have heard that there is some cockfighting in the area, and I certainly would not want them to end up in a bad situation.

6. roostercluck

roostercluck Chirping

May 26, 2012
    Arkansas
    I agree. I would not be able to eat a pet or even kill it and ready it for the table to eat.

7. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Chirping

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    If you are just squeamish about eating them you can always do what I did with my birds. My wife could not eat chickens that we raised so I bought a pack of chickens from the market and mixed them in with our chicken, cooked them all together, and the wife didn't know the difference, and has been ok with it ever since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: