What to do with the.... remains.

andythescot

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Central Mass
What do you guys do with the "leftovers" from a predator attack? I have lost any birds yet, *knock on wood,* but when I do, I want to be ready.

Not be gross, but it depends on the amount of the losses and when.

I've lost single meatie chicks with a late snow on the ground, so they went into the trash.
hu.gif

During our massacre in May (31 6 week old meaties), I dug a four feet deep, 2 feet wide, 6 feet long trench and buried them all there.

Just don't throw them in the woods for the predators to eat, unless you do it far from home. And away from the highway.

hmm...I thought this thread was gonna be on what to do with the remains from processing and I was very interested in that. In case anyone else thinks likewise, what's the answer? I own 2 dogs and a cat, so I figured that I would save all the less desirable but still obviously edible parts for them (organ meats and such), but don't know about the rest. I know they make blood sausage out of pork and beef, but could I make it out of chicken as a treat for my animals? and would I really want to?
sickbyc.gif
are feathers washable to be used for crafts and such? pickled chick's feet anyone? jk!
gig.gif
I don't have a problem putting a small amount of viscera in my garbage, but we live in the county and there are dogs running loose, not to mention the fact the we do have neighbors who might be offended by slaughterhouse aromas. anything I could do to keep the waste contained/to a minimum and make use/profit from as much as possible would be appreciated. my dad is already planning to steal some feathers, I thought he wanted them for his jewelry making and art, but he wanted them to tie flies (fishing).

If I had a predator attack, I would save what I could and bait the trap. The feathered carcass would go in the burn barrel.

If it's from processing, I save some guts to bait the trap, more guts go in the freezer for further trap baiting and the rest goes to the catfish in the pond.

I have lost one to predator, but it was a dog and my neighbors witnessed it. If I had a "real" predator attack from a wild animal, then I would probably study it a little to try to find out what killed it, and then throw away the remains... unless there was still quite a body, then I would bury it.

What isn't reuseable, gets the shovel treatment. I don't think FarmerJamie used a shovel------backhoe?

Quote:
Nope, a shovel for me, and one for my 12 year old son. It was actually very theraputic (I was devasted as I knew I was pushing my luck with batch). We actually had a really good father/son chat about the circle of life. One of the roos had actually survived but was mortally wounded so we had to dispatch. Life has some hard lessons.

We must have dug them deep enough, because nothing bothered them, although on certain nights, when the moon is full, you can hear soft clucking.....
hide.gif

Digging a hole here in the Rockies is not really an option. It ends up too shallow and the predator just digs up the remains.

We have a location outside of our secured perimeter called "sacrifice rock". The bird is place there for a predator to take. We to this with any of our deceased.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom