What to do with this? Build an incubator of course!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CARS, May 18, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked this up from the local watering hole last week

[​IMG]

My first thought was what more could a guy ask for, an insulated, clear window incubator!!!

The compressor is shot and would cost $700.00 to repair so the owner set it out back. For now it will be a storage cabinet.

I am sooooo tempted to test the circulating fans and add a heating element... automatic humidity that I never perfected in my wood bator.... now that i have 70 quail, I am going to have to do something with all the eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Wow! aren't you the lucky one!

3. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Well you could ship the eggs to certain people on byc [​IMG]

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Wonder how many eggs that bator would hold???? What are you waiting on, get busy and make a bator out of that thing...........

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Really!! That thing would work great!

6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    We can help ya get it filled with eggs..........

7. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    you could salvage a older styrofoam incubator and get the element out of it and put in a computer fan or 2 and buy a thermostat only thing would be humidity but that should be easy i think it has great potential

8. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I still need to convince my wife about doing it. It was her idea to use it as a clean area for storage in a dusty barn. Not that she was against the idea, she just remembers me spending alot of time on this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133431

I never did get that wood cabinet to control it's humidity. That 125W element was overkill for it, but deadly accurate. I think it would be just about the right size for the freezer.

If I do it, you know I will be posting pictures!

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Hmm, you might mutter something in passing about how nicely that old fridge will hold humidity then mention something about worrying that mold will start growing on the stuff put in the "clean area" since it is so tightly sealed....just a little bit of moisture could start really affecting things. A more simple, ventilated box and shelves would work better at keeping dust off everything *and* keeping that mold away. We don't want no stinkin' mold, ya know! Just a thought.... [​IMG]

Ed

10. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

That will make a great bator ... trade her something for it, it may cost you a few but worth it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by