What to do with this foot?

Pics
I’m working my way down to that end of the farm now. Morning feedings go from my chickens, pregnant cows, bull and yearling cattle, special cow (calf was premature breech mid November, and is healthy, but not quite “right”) Rams and special sheep (anyone that needs extra care) my little chicks (to prevent spread of issues from the older ones), horses, outside chickens, chickens in the “coop”. Normally I just do my chickens and the cattle... but once everyone is back from Christmas holidays I’m still going to keep the other chickens in my rotation.

And some of my old work friends were worried I would be bored or get out of shape living in the farm... here lemme introduce you to my new friend to 100lb bale of alfalfa! Lol
Your friends clearly haven't been to a barn and/or farm much, eh?

Last edited:
Coconut oil is available everywhere, is mildly antibacterial and very soothing. I use it on all kinds of skin problems, it generally works very well. You could use that and then put the vaseline on over it.
Coconut oil is crazy expensive in Canada. Back home in the province of Quebec (like a state pretty much) where my family lives, it is so expensive. Honestly, I think that castor oil is better.

The OP lives in British Columbia and has had a normal mild winter. It is like my place--Frostbite does not happen here or there.

it is more likely that the toes are messed up by infection--and will bleed quite a bit so some blood stop should be on hand
The OP lives in British Columbia, Canada. It most likely snows (if not, it will get quite cold and they are in the country, not in the city so they already get more snow). I think that the weather is worse than California. Those chickens can and will get frostbite.

Maybe this has already been suggested and pooh-poohed, but what about spraying the coop well with a dilute copper sulfate solution? Here it can be found at Tractor Supply. It is something to have on hand anyway, I discovered to my sorrow when I did not have it, for canker. I had not previously known of that horrific fungal growth that ultimately clogs breathing passages, and suffocates the bird. It is also useful for sour crop. BUT - when administering it directly to birds, super-diluted, as per the instructions, be so, so careful to follow the mixing instructions. It is very effective, because it is deadly to most things, if overdosed. Thankfully, a mixture strong enough to kill fungi, parasites, and hopefully mites, will not harm your birds. BUT - DO NOT let your sheep near it!!

I hope that you find the way to knock those bugs out 100%. Perhaps you could persuade the owner to give you the birds, and you split the eggs. She would save on feed! Poor babies. I wish, with folks like that, that the parasites liked human, too. I bet she would take steps to help them be bug free then!
There is no Tractor Supply in Canada where OP lives (I looked into that for my cousins in Canada)

@FARMER GIRL101 ... Ok, no... I’m in costal BC, on and ISLAND! We don’t get a lot of freezing temps... coconut oil is cheap here, I use it in soap making. This Farm is 600 acres, over 2 miles long, and has been in operation since the 1920’s. FARMING since the 1920’s...

My aunt-in-law has more than one university degree in agricultural sciences, as did both her parents! (She just doesn’t “do” chickens) I’ve been handling 30head of cattle for a just over a year now, we have a significant flock of sheep 150breeding ewes.

My descriptions of my farm/role/and duties is to provide context on the situation. There are people commenting here with far more poultry/agricultural experience than myself. Please don’t make assumptions or negative comments to try to inflame people here.

Not all of Canada is a frozen wasteland... Frostbite almost NEVER happens here. It hasn’t hit 0 degrees Celsius in over three weeks here...

If you’re going to take the time to comment, please actually read the posts...

@FARMER GIRL101 ... Ok, no... I’m in costal BC, on and ISLAND! We don’t get a lot of freezing temps... coconut oil is cheap here, I use it in soap making. This Farm is 600 acres, over 2 miles long, and has been in operation since the 1920’s. FARMING since the 1920’s...

My aunt-in-law has more than one university degree in agricultural sciences, as did both her parents! (She just doesn’t “do” chickens) I’ve been handling 30head of cattle for a just over a year now, we have a significant flock of sheep 150breeding ewes.

My descriptions of my farm/role/and duties is to provide context on the situation. There are people commenting here with far more poultry/agricultural experience than myself. Please don’t make assumptions or negative comments to try to inflame people here.

Not all of Canada is a frozen wasteland... Frostbite almost NEVER happens here. It hasn’t hit 0 degrees Celsius in over three weeks here...

If you’re going to take the time to comment, please actually read the posts...
Huh. Frostbite can happen anywhere is there is no proper ventilation so I was just trying to say that it doesn't matter where you live, frostbite can happen. And I was forgetting about the Island, so, sorry. Coconut oil has been quite expensive pretty much everywhere I go in Canada.

There is no Tractor Supply in Canada where OP lives (I looked into that for my cousins in Canada)

We do have plenty of feed stores and equestrian tack and saddlery stores, which carry many of the same items. Being as I am Canadian, when someone says “tractor supply” I just call my local feed store, and if they don’t have it or aren’t licensed to carry it, they can usually tell me where to look. Unless it’s Corid (or a non-topical medication) then I’ve got to find a vet to prescribe it thanks to the new regulations on veterinary meds here.

Huh. Frostbite can happen anywhere is there is no proper ventilation so I was just trying to say that it doesn't matter where you live, frostbite can happen. And I was forgetting about the Island, so, sorry. Coconut oil has been quite expensive pretty much everywhere I go in Canada.
Can't happen here! Coldest it gets here is upper 30s/lower 40s, and that's only during pretty rare cold snaps. You must be in the northern parts or higher elevations in Cali.

Yep... chicken pedicures for Christmas and lice treatments for New Years!!! It’s how I party!

You are doing marvelous from the looks of things. Glad I have not had to deal with any serious issues yet (5 pullets, 27 weeks old) but glad to know that if problems arise, there are people here to help, not to mention people like you who really are dedicated to doing the best for the creatures relying on you.
Party On, like your style.
Hope 2019 is good to you and yours.
:highfive::celebrate:clap

Back
Top Bottom