1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with three roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I was given (guilted into taking) 3 barred rock roosters. The roos are in with 44 chickens. With the large amt of snow we've gotten, the chickens won't go out. They are perfectly free to free range, but they won't for days at a time. They can get a bit aggressive w/one another and this week one of them went after my oldest DD. She showed him who was boss at the time, but I do have a 5 and a 7 y/o who wouldn't be able to fend for themselves. Add to this that I really want EE roos.

The Barred Rock Roos will be 1 y/o this spring. And although they protect the flock, I want them gone. Does this type roo make a good meal? Do older roos get tough, stringy, strong tasting? How old is too old? I could give them to someone else, I suppose.

But, even if I get different roos come spring, will the hens accept them and will the new roos take on their own flock?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Any roo makes a good meal. You would want to roast them or slow cook them since they are older...they wouldn't be best used for fried chicken, but a good roasted bird for sure!

When you get new roos in the spring, the girls might be stand offish with the new roos at first, but it won't take long before they realize that he's here to stay.

3. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    They'll be fine to eat as long as you approach it right. It won't be like super market chicken, but it will have a lot more flavor. Once you've done the dead, age them before freezing or trying to use them. Technically you'd be allowing them to decompose a little. It will soften them up (think of dry aging beef). Also the cooking method will influence their toughness. Go with a method that is low (heat) and slow (takes a long time). For instance throw the whole bird in a crock pot with some carrots, onion, and celery and make a terrific broth. Then pick the carcass, make gravy out of the broth and serve the whole mess over biscuits. Coq-au-Vin is a french dish inspired by "what to do with a mean old rooster."

As for acceptance, I can't really say. Our ladies seem really happy since I disposed of all of our roos.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Definitely slow cook them, either the crockpot or soup. The older they get, the tougher the meat. I've made coq au vin and it was fantastic.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  6. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    Thanks for all the help! Now, how do I get them past the kids and the hubby. [​IMG]

7. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:We are having Chicken surprise tonight ?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hey hey, the first homemade fried chicken I ever made was with a 6 month old Black Sex Link rooster. . . . (thought he was a Barred Rock at the time)

But, anything beyond 6 months I'd say needs some slow cooking.

9. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    Quote:We are having Chicken surprise tonight ?

[​IMG] Hubby has forbidden me to kill any chicken. lol I haven't, yet, gained the skill, but I will. So, it's off to the Amish woman....after I get a couple of replacements on the way. I have already decided that the nasty roo goes 1st!

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree with you 100%. Once they attack someone, they tend to keep on, and will definitely challenge the younger children, get them gone.

If you want to butcher, google it, there are some great sites, and I followed step by step, and it worked great!

Mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by