What to do with unwanted roosters?

Will my two roosters fight each other?
If they are raised together they are less likely to fight, but as they get older they might.

JSW99, if you are not going to ever try to hatch out eggs or let a broody hen hatch them out, then you do not need fertile eggs. There is nothing wrong with having fertile eggs though as already stated. If you are going to always keep your hens inside a protected chicken yard then I would get rid of the roosters so you do not have to feed them. If you are going to allow the hens to run around the yard then I would keep a rooster so he will help watch over them. He will warn them if a large bird/hawk is in the area ang he will somewhat protect them from critters. Two days ago I seen a strange house cat and the cat went towards the chickens in a stalking stance----the rooster went after the cat and ran him away from the hens. Good Luck

As others have said, you can eat fertilized eggs and never know the difference. There is nothing wrong with eating them - the only time they develop is if you keep them at a warm enough temperature for days. Roos can be great to have around IF you are allowed to have them.

If you have a broody, yes, you can take the eggs. There are ways to try and break a broody (search on here) or you can have her sit on fake eggs. Or maybe you'll want chicks by then! But you won't just wake up and have a chicken population explosion unless you let it happen. :)

I want to add that even tho you may not have a rooster, your hens may still go broody, some breeds more often then others. My sister has no roosters but had 6 or 7 broody hens all at the same time and she ran around and bought eggs to put under the broody hens. It can be hard to break a broody, depending on the breed, you can sneak day old chicks under them in the night time. Then sell the chicks if you don't want to keep them. Or buy eggs and let her hatch them and raise them out and then sell them.

Back
Top Bottom