What to do with Wobbles the duck?

IttyBittyBirdy

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Michigan
I've posted on this duck before. The issue is NOT food or his diet.

My little duck, Wobbles, has done amazing with his growth and development. He's able to wobble much farther and stand up well.
Our only issue is that when he poops, he doesn't move his behind away. So I end up having to wash off dirty butt feathers.
This wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that winter is coming. Now I live in Michigan so the temps can drop. I'm worried about poop freezing onto his bottom and creating a bigger mess and health issues.
I'd like to stress that he's a happy duck, loves eating, and following me around the yard.

I was thinking a house duck for winter? But if that's what you guys agree with, how should I go about this? Do they smell when diapered? That would be the biggest issue.

I would definitely bring him in for winter - as for smell, I can only go by my hatchlings who were from incubated eggs. As long as they have enough room and you are poop scooping / diaper changing, then smell is not an issue. Throwing food and water around is more of an issue imo !!

Have you got a space you can set up for him (perhaps a high walled paddling pool (no water obvs!).

I would definitely bring him in for winter - as for smell, I can only go by my hatchlings who were from incubated eggs. As long as they have enough room and you are poop scooping / diaper changing, then smell is not an issue. Throwing food and water around is more of an issue imo !!

Have you got a space you can set up for him (perhaps a high walled paddling pool (no water obvs!).
I can probably get a kiddie pool! I'm not sure if I should use puppy pads or just get some fleece/fabric and rewash. Definitely going to be diapering him. Any more advice?

I can probably get a kiddie pool! I'm not sure if I should use puppy pads or just get some fleece/fabric and rewash. Definitely going to be diapering him. Any more advice?
Puppy pads are great - I am a fan ! But they can be slippy - this can be resolved by putting shavings on the top.

You can get some really cute diaper outfits - you can't deny a duck in a tux isn't rather handsome!

Finally, I would work out your drinking and feed station solution to minimise the amount being thrown around by Wobbles.

Can we have a pic too pls ?!

Puppy pads are great - I am a fan ! But they can be slippy - this can be resolved by putting shavings on the top.

You can get some really cute diaper outfits - you can't deny a duck in a tux isn't rather handsome!

Finally, I would work out your drinking and feed station solution to minimise the amount being thrown around by Wobbles.

Can we have a pic too pls ?!
I was thinking like a kiddie pool with puppy pads and his water and food dishes. Let me take a picture later and post it! I'm in the tattoo chair.

@HalfWayUpAMountain
IMG_20200826_120520_960.jpg

Back
Top Bottom