What to do???

Yeah, And you got Lucky....

Treated one bird....I make many phone calls and have learnt many, many things buy talking to experts...Lots to know before thinking we all have the answers.....

Best of luck, enjoy your day!

Last edited:
No stopped the corid after the 5 day treatment and used the safeguard 3 days because I was confused read 1 day and then read use it for 3 so to be safe I used it for 3. But why up to day 7 did they sound good and then some sound bad again. I had them confined in the coop for that length of time. The wind dos blow for the last two days stirring up dust could that of done it!? I am about ready to give up! Can you mix the Tylan injectable with water I suppose we need to start over here.

Did the chickens start out with Respiratory Illness, Coccidiosis, or worms?

The Duramycin you treated for 7days? It looks like your dosage was incorrect (you used 1 Tablespoon). Use 5 Teaspoons per Gallon of drinking water. Make sure this is the only water they drink. Try this before you try the Tylan50 since you did see improvement with the Duramycin.

I understand why you kept them isolated in the coop, but they do need fresh air, so if you have a place where they can get some air and sunshine that may be helpful as well.

Don't give up, you are doing the best you can
hugs.gif
It is possible they may get sick again, or if you add new birds to your flock in the future that the illness could be contracted. But that is in the future. It sounds like most of them have cleared up and are doing well for the moment, so treat the ones that are still sick.

Hopefully increasing your dosage will work for you. If not, then you can try the Tylan50.

Just my thoughts.

This was the symptoms to begin with. Sneezing, coughing, some had clear discharge from the nose but not all, wraspy, wheezing breathing. They would cough and sound like they had a whistle or something in there lungs. Treated with Corid had a friend tell me that coccidiosis can act like that also. They also stretched their necks and shook their heads. Read that also could be all signs of gapeworms. I hadn't wormed them so that is why I used the Safeguard. The coop they where in has Windows and they where open and a door that is made out of a shelve from a upright freezer with chicken wire above so air can go through it. So do I need to recondite them then or can I let them out and just still make this there only source of water? And do another 7 days or 14 days and then how long to hold eggs? I am really getting confused and frustrated. I am going home today and going to sweep the chicken coop out completely again and change their hay in neating boxes and spray down while coop with diluted Clorox. Don't know what else to do. I have not lost any birds through this so far.

A friend of mine goes through something like this every year, and he gets labs done each time, and it's always pseudomonas aeruginosa, and once it was pseudomonas aeruginosa *and* E.coli. Interestingly, the ones with the respiratory infection almost always have coccidiosis, so it's quite possible that there is more than one thing going on here. When his get sick, he treats with Zactran, which is not available without a prescription.

@chickens really has had ILT, and I guess their vet has them give oxytetracyline for any secondary bacterial infections that might pop up, but antibiotics will not treat a virus.

One always has the option of sending samples to a lab. Properly collecting the sample might be tricky, but it could be done. Places like UC Davis are quite affordable compared to having a small animal vet do it.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cahfs/index.cfm

More testing resources
State Vets:
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

State Veterinary Diagnostic Labs:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

-Kathy

This was the symptoms to begin with. Sneezing, coughing, some had clear discharge from the nose but not all, wraspy, wheezing breathing. They would cough and sound like they had a whistle or something in there lungs. Treated with Corid had a friend tell me that coccidiosis can act like that also. They also stretched their necks and shook their heads. Read that also could be all signs of gapeworms. I hadn't wormed them so that is why I used the Safeguard. The coop they where in has Windows and they where open and a door that is made out of a shelve from a upright freezer with chicken wire above so air can go through it. So do I need to recondite them then or can I let them out and just still make this there only source of water? And do another 7 days or 14 days and then how long to hold eggs? I am really getting confused and frustrated. I am going home today and going to sweep the chicken coop out completely again and change their hay in neating boxes and spray down while coop with diluted Clorox. Don't know what else to do. I have not lost any birds through this so far.
You did nothing wrong by treating with Corid, because it's quite possible they did have coccidiosis. How much Safeguard did you give? I ask because much of the info on the web is wrong. Large amounts of Safeguard need to be given orally several days in a row to treat gapeworms and capillary worms. Gapes aren't very common in chickens, so I doubt that's something to worry about.

As for what you're dealing with, it's really hard to know for sure. Did they all get sick at once, or did one get sick, followed by others. Some diseases spread fast, some slow, so knowing that might help us figure out what you're dealing with.

-Kathy

The University will test my birds.FREE..First I need to Cull one...Honestly I can not see myself doing it...Who would I pick? Bonnie, Shelly or how about Alice?? Really hard decision...Testing needs to be done on dead birds...ILT has been in my area so they symptoms all match my birds...
I have 11 hens that have this Virus....

Plus to test mine I would have to snap the neck so I do not damage the neck at all on the inside....Horrid!

The OP should try what they can but sometimes things can not be fixed as easily...

Good luck

The University will test my birds.FREE..First I need to Cull one...Honestly I can not see myself doing it...Who would I pick? Bonnie, Shelly or how about Alice?? Really hard decision...Testing needs to be done on dead birds...ILT has been in my area so they symptoms all match my birds...
I have 11 hens that have this Virus....

Plus to test mine I would have to snap the neck so I do not damage the neck at all on the inside....Horrid!

The OP should try what they can but sometimes things can not be fixed as easily...

Good luck
Pretty sure they can test for ILT with a blood sample and/or swab.

-Kathy

There is no harm in treating for Cocci or worms. I just wanted to clarify, what your initial symptoms were
smile.png

The thing with respiratory illnesses is, if it is viral (like Infectious Bronchitis or Mycoplasma) then antibiotics only treat secondary infections like eye/sinus infections (discharge from the nose/eyes). If it is bacterial, then the antibiotics will usually knock it out. Without testing, there is no way to really know what they have. Since yours are slowly getting better, then you are on the right track.
Sometimes it takes time to recover from illness, but you report no losses (deaths) so that is good.

I understand you are frustrated and all the information you can read/receive can be confusing. Since you have the Duramycin, then try that again at the correct dosage. If you see no improvement, then switch to the Tylan50.

Back
Top Bottom