unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have 7 pet chickens. I really Love them I raised them from day old chicks. I have a pen on one side of my deck. I had to Orpington hens in there five years old and six years old. I kept them separate from the other five because they have mycoplasma. It flares up when they get stressed. On the other side of my back porch I have a penned in area that I have five other hens that are less than a year old and they are disease-free. I am very careful changing shoes when going from one pen to the other. Yesterday I found one of my two hend dead in her pen. The other hen was fine. I don’t know what happened but it has devastated me plus now I have one hen with mycoplasma that is by herself. I know this will be very harmful for her and I am trying to find a solution to what I can do to help her survive and to be happy. I have her pen butting up to the pen where the other chickens are, it is separated by a picket fence and wire. But she can see them and she will stand there and look at them and they also come to the fence and lay near her. I thought about taking the smaller hen that everyone picks on and put it in there with her. I do know that she will get mycoplasma. Any chicken I put in there we’ll get mycoplasma. But I don’t want to lose her right on top of losing the other one. I am in a dilemma. Can someone give me some advice

I have 7 pet chickens. I really Love them I raised them from day old chicks. I have a pen on one side of my deck. I had to Orpington hens in there five years old and six years old. I kept them separate from the other five because they have mycoplasma. It flares up when they get stressed. On the other side of my back porch I have a penned in area that I have five other hens that are less than a year old and they are disease-free. I am very careful changing shoes when going from one pen to the other. Yesterday I found one of my two hend dead in her pen. The other hen was fine. I don’t know what happened but it has devastated me plus now I have one hen with mycoplasma that is by herself. I know this will be very harmful for her and I am trying to find a solution to what I can do to help her survive and to be happy. I have her pen butting up to the pen where the other chickens are, it is separated by a picket fence and wire. But she can see them and she will stand there and look at them and they also come to the fence and lay near her. I thought about taking the smaller hen that everyone picks on and put it in there with her. I do know that she will get mycoplasma. Any chicken I put in there we’ll get mycoplasma. But I don’t want to lose her right on top of losing the other one. I am in a dilemma. Can someone give me some advice
I'm so sorry for your loss 😥

I have her pen butting up to the pen where the other chickens are, it is separated by a picket fence and wire. But she can see them and she will stand there and look at them and they also come to the fence and lay near her.
If your MG positive hen is that close to the other flock, I'd be rather surprised if they haven't been infected. MG can be passed via aerosol route and if the younger flock is right on the other side of the fence from her, I doubt they've avoided it.
Have you had the members of your younger flock tested?
I would go ahead and move the smaller pullet in with her while you think about getting the test on the pullets and just combining the flocks.
In order to truly prevent disease transmission for highly pathogenic microorganisms, the flocks must be kept at least 500 feet from each other with the infectious flock downwind of the healthy flock.

As you know most respiratory diseases are contagious, some more than others. To get rid of the disease all chickens and other poultry must die off before bringing in new birds, this is an all in all out approach. You have had sick birds for a few years, and have used many different antibiotics to treat them.

I know it is hard to put them down, but that is the best way to keep it from spreading to all of the flock. If you really have to remove the smaller picked on hen, that would be the best choice to put in with the other hen. Have you checked into getting some MG vaccine for the younger birds? That might be a way to keep them healthy, especially the one who may be put into the pen with the sick bird.

The MG vaccine is expensive and comes in 1000 dose vials, so it may not be very economical for you. You can find it here:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=ae64ad79-9b3f-49c8-8a0b-3675ea3eb0f8

If your MG positive hen is that close to the other flock, I'd be rather surprised if they haven't been infected. MG can be passed via aerosol route and if the younger flock is right on the other side of the fence from her, I doubt they've avoided it.
Have you had the members of your younger flock tested?
I would go ahead and move the smaller pullet in with her while you think about getting the test on the pullets and just combining the flocks.
In order to truly prevent disease transmission for highly pathogenic microorganisms, the flocks must be kept at least 500 feet from each other with the infectious flock downwind of the healthy flock.
Oh I just moved her close to to their pen yesterday, but 500 ft apart from each other and downwind? it is more like 10-20 feet and the wind blows in different directions. Wow I thought I was doing the right thing keeping them separated by the porch and changing my shoes. How very little I know. I tried catching the small hen today and it was like a 3 alarm fire. We all got upset. They have never been around each other except through the fence. They all know something is up - they act agitated . And the one that is alone is so quiet, eating little and it is tearing my heart out. Right now I wish I hadn’t gotten any because when something happens it is incredibly painful. I thought chickens were hearty farm animals but that is not the case at all. They are delicate. They have always been sweet little pets and a source of enjoyment to me. I do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me

As you know most respiratory diseases are contagious, some more than others. To get rid of the disease all chickens and other poultry must die off before bringing in new birds, this is an all in all out approach. You have had sick birds for a few years, and have used many different antibiotics to treat them.

I know it is hard to put them down, but that is the best way to keep it from spreading to all of the flock. If you really have to remove the smaller picked on hen, that would be the best choice to put in with the other hen. Have you checked into getting some MG vaccine for the younger birds? That might be a way to keep them healthy, especially the one who may be put into the pen with the sick bird.

The MG vaccine is expensive and comes in 1000 dose vials, so it may not be very economical for you. You can find it here:
https://www.
not be very economical for you. You can find it here:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=ae64ad79-9b3f-49c8-8a0b-3675ea3eb0f8
Oh how awful. They are out of stock:( I have been furiously looking on line to see if I could find it elsewher. this one blurb says : “Mycoplasma gallisepticum is a bacterium that continues to challenge U.S. egg production. To help protect against M. gallisepticum during the lay cycle, Zoetis offers. Poulvac® Myco F — an easy-to-administer live vaccine that helps produce a measurable serological response.“ I know you didn’t take me to raise and I feel like I have to get it “right now” but this product is so much cheaper, $29.00 ! That would be less than half what the other one cost. Should I question the quality of this vaccine? Do you think it could cause them to become ill with MG since it is a live vaccine.If I’m still alive (I’m 75) ;) ;) and I know I will eventually lose them I am not going to get any more chicks I can’t stand the grief when I lose them

Back
Top Bottom