What to do!!

abbly2

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Tennesse
I have seperated my girl. Pretty sure my others started pecking or eating her ventšŸ˜¬

This is a pic of her about 30 mins ago, it looks like shes trying to poop. But i may be wrong

Just need any advice on helping her.

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 23
That looks very bad. You are correct, they were pecking her vent and cannibalizing her. She may have first had a prolapsed vent which is red, and they saw it, and started attacking her. Have you seen any evidence of other hens being pecked on the vent? Is there any overcrowding? What do you feed them?

I would spray her vent twice a day with saline or a mild wound spray such as Vetericyn or others. Then when drying, apply plain Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment twice a day to keep it from drying out. Honey can also be used to keep it moist. I hope that she will heal from this without much damage to her vent, but time will tell.

Keep her separated in a wire dog crate or pen with a towel or puppy pads over her bedding. Low lighting might eventually cause her to temporarily stop laying. Clean her or spray her vent with saline if she poops to keep it clean. A daily soak in warm Epsom salts or saline water will help her to heal. Saline can be made by dissolving 2 tsp of salt in 1 quart/liter of water. Offer water and food often. Let us know how she is doing.

That looks very bad. You are correct, they were pecking her vent and cannibalizing her. She may have first had a prolapsed vent which is red, and they saw it, and started attacking her. Have you seen any evidence of other hens being pecked on the vent? Is there any overcrowding? What do you feed them?

I would spray her vent twice a day with saline or a mild wound spray such as Vetericyn or others. Then when drying, apply plain Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment twice a day to keep it from drying out. Honey can also be used to keep it moist. I hope that she will heal from this without much damage to her vent, but time will tell.

Keep her separated in a wire dog crate or pen with a towel or puppy pads over her bedding. Low lighting might eventually cause her to temporarily stop laying. Clean her or spray her vent with saline if she poops to keep it clean. A daily soak in warm Epsom salts or saline water will help her to heal. Saline can be made by dissolving 2 tsp of salt in 1 quart/liter of water. Offer water and food often. Let us know how she is doing.
I have not seen any others being pecked at, pretty sure my rooster is not being a very good rooster to his hens. (he will find a new home asap) I feed hen house reserve. thank you so much for the advice! I hope she pulls through this. she's my only frizzle bantam.

Back
Top Bottom