what to feed a chicken?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I am wondering what is are good things to feed chickens becides the chicken feed?
    I am trying to feed my rooster but everything i give him he does not seem to like.
    so far I have tried, carrots, cucumbers, popcorn, cherrios, and bread. I am new
    to the chicken hobby and have had him and right now only him for 3 days now.

Also, what are things that I should not feed my rooster? [​IMG]

2. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Sorry I posted in the wrong forum.

3. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    try yogurt. Its healthy for them and most chickens love it. but only plain or vanilla. Also my chickens love dill and fennel.

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    When corn on the cobb is cheap I buy a couple for the girls. During the winter when there is nothing growing on the ground I buy a cabbage and give to them. I through all my fruit and vegetable scraps to them. cooked rice, macarooni and cheese leftovers. Just about any leftovers from the table.

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Try some mealworms, raisins or grapes, scrambled eggs or a few crickets. It takes a chicken some time to get used to new food but mine actually squeal with pleasure at grapes and raisins.

Mary

6. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    If you are growing your own cucumbers let them grow oversized, split them open and they/he will first pick out the seeds then move onto the rest. Grasshoppers!!!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are feeds formulated for game roosters that would be perfect. I use an 11-grain scratch called Knockout Game Bird Feed that is great for my rooster who is crippled and lives separate from the flock. Here is a bowl of it. It's 12% protein (used to be 13% but I think they upped the corn content a smidge).

[​IMG]

Mine love canned salmon or mackerel, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, cooked squash, etc.

8. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Great!! thank you so much, the picture was very helpful. I am a new to chickens and trying to learn
    as much as I can. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by