what to feed a chicken?

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
I am wondering what is are good things to feed chickens becides the chicken feed?
I am trying to feed my rooster but everything i give him he does not seem to like.
so far I have tried, carrots, cucumbers, popcorn, cherrios, and bread. I am new
to the chicken hobby and have had him and right now only him for 3 days now.

Also, what are things that I should not feed my rooster?
idunno.gif

When corn on the cobb is cheap I buy a couple for the girls. During the winter when there is nothing growing on the ground I buy a cabbage and give to them. I through all my fruit and vegetable scraps to them. cooked rice, macarooni and cheese leftovers. Just about any leftovers from the table.

Try some mealworms, raisins or grapes, scrambled eggs or a few crickets. It takes a chicken some time to get used to new food but mine actually squeal with pleasure at grapes and raisins.

Mary

If you are growing your own cucumbers let them grow oversized, split them open and they/he will first pick out the seeds then move onto the rest. Grasshoppers!!!

There are feeds formulated for game roosters that would be perfect. I use an 11-grain scratch called Knockout Game Bird Feed that is great for my rooster who is crippled and lives separate from the flock. Here is a bowl of it. It's 12% protein (used to be 13% but I think they upped the corn content a smidge).

DCP_2840.jpg

Mine love canned salmon or mackerel, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, cooked squash, etc.

Back
Top Bottom