What to feed broody hen with diarrhea (Help needed)

Pics

Chelsea-85

Songster
Dec 24, 2018
Kurdistan
Hi everyone,

This is my first time I have a broody pullet that has watery poops. Could you please help me in selecting list of best feeds for broody hen? I appreciate your help in advance.

I searched for the subject but couldn't find a clear answer that is why I thought perhaps members who have good experience in broody hens for a long time may help me.

Thanks

A broody hen shouldn't need a diet any different from her usual feed.
What is her usual feed?
Could you provide some pictures of her poop and of the nest box she's sitting in.
Does she get off her nest daily?
Can she get out into the run/ground access?
Poop from a broody hen normally stinks. They try not to poop in the nest and instead of pooping throughout the day they store it up for one, or two big dumps when they get off the nest to eat, drink and bath.

A broody hen shouldn't need a diet any different from her usual feed.
What is her usual feed?
Could you provide some pictures of her poop and of the nest box she's sitting in.
Does she get off her nest daily?
Can she get out into the run/ground access?
Poop from a broody hen normally stinks. They try not to poop in the nest and instead of pooping throughout the day they store it up for one, or two big dumps when they get off the nest to eat, drink and bath.
Thank you dear for your reply.
I give her scratch, corn, starter, wheat and soaked bread (she likes the bread) and most of the days I feed her well-cooked rice. I don't have pics of her poop now, she is confined in a little coop where she is alone with 7 eggs. She only gets off the nest once for few minutes (sometimes twice). I wonder what is the best feeding options for her to get rid off diarrhea. I gave her yogurt as well for two days.

Thank you dear for your reply.
I give her scratch, corn, starter, wheat and soaked bread (she likes the bread) and most of the days I feed her well-cooked rice. I don't have pics of her poop now, she is confined in a little coop where she is alone with 7 eggs. She only gets off the nest once for few minutes (sometimes twice). I wonder what is the best feeding options for her to get rid off diarrhea. I gave her yogurt as well for two days.

Unfortunately it sounds like she is not on a well balanced diet. Can you provide her and the rest of your chickens with an All Flock type of diet? She doesn't need any extra calcium right now as she is not laying but offer the additional calcium, like oyster shells, to the rest of the flock in a separate container. Scratch grains, corn and wheat are not a complete diet. They lack proper levels of protein and vitamins and minerals. Bread is not good for chickens as part of their basic diet. I personally don't feed it at all. The starter is the best thing you have and you should give her just that (as long as it's not medicated) until you can get some All Flock type feed. Look for something with 18 - 20% protein.
She shouldn't have diarrhea. How long has she had it? Can you post pictures of her and her poops?

Unfortunately it sounds like she is not on a well balanced diet. Can you provide her and the rest of your chickens with an All Flock type of diet? She doesn't need any extra calcium right now as she is not laying but offer the additional calcium, like oyster shells, to the rest of the flock in a separate container. Scratch grains, corn and wheat are not a complete diet. They lack proper levels of protein and vitamins and minerals. Bread is not good for chickens as part of their basic diet. I personally don't feed it at all. The starter is the best thing you have and you should give her just that (as long as it's not medicated) until you can get some All Flock type feed. Look for something with 18 - 20% protein.
She shouldn't have diarrhea. How long has she had it? Can you post pictures of her and her poops?
Thank you dear for your reply. I am sorry that I am new to chicken world, could you please tell me what is All Flock Type feed? Because here where I live I have to recognize it when I buy it. Yes, you are right about calcium. I feed bread because she likes it, I can no longer feed her bread if it is not good. The starter (baby chicks feed) is available and she likes it. She has diarrhea for about 3 days since I last noticed. I don't have pic of her poop.

Is the chick feed medicated? Do you buy it premade?
An All Flock type feed is a complete balanced feed for poultry. Do you have anything like that available? Where do you get your chick feed?
Dear, it is premade, I don't know if that is available because I usually buy the feeds in a poultry feed shop in the market. I live in Kurdistan/Iraq. I understand your explanation about a well-balanced feed but can you please post a pic of the feed? Thank you again

I can't!
What we have available in the US isn't available in Iraq!
Do the premade feeds available to you come with labels that tell you their guaranteed analysis? That information is what you want to read.
If you cannot get a complete feed premade, you should offer some protein sources like fish or other meats along with some fresh vegetables.

I can't!
What we have available in the US isn't available in Iraq!
Do the premade feeds available to you come with labels that tell you their guaranteed analysis? That information is what you want to read.
If you cannot get a complete feed premade, you should offer some protein sources like fish or other meats along with some fresh vegetables.
Ok dear thank you anyway. I should check the label this time because I buy by kilo not the whole pack since I have only two pullets and one rooster. I will hopefully, but I heard that vegetables make hens watery poops. Is cooked rice OK?

Ok dear thank you anyway. I should check the label this time because I buy by kilo not the whole pack since I have only two pullets and one rooster. I will hopefully, but I heard that vegetables make hens watery poops. Is cooked rice OK?
Just a little fresh veggies. Cooked rice in small amounts should be okay. It's one of those foods that provide a lot of empty calories. Energy with little nutrition.
Let us know what is available to you at the market. Do they sell food grade fish meal?

Back
Top Bottom